MBP gaming future

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Riffraffer, May 16, 2012.

1. Riffraffer macrumors newbie

How long do you think the current 15" Macbook Pro will be applicable in the gaming world. I think the general consensus is that currently, the MBP can play most high end games on medium and in some cases high settings with good frame rates. Where is the future of gaming heading? Will 512mb GDDR be enough or will 1Gb GDDR soon be a requirement?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Casual gamers will always find a way to make do on a portable. Serious gamers will have a Windows desktop. Same as always.

3. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I play games A LOT! The way my life is i need a laptop so having a desktop is out of the question.

I bought my macbook pro in february 2011, I expect to replace it around the early part of 2013, whenever the first big refresh of that year is. I would say if you are gaming on a laptop then the best you can hope for at good performance levels is 2 years, if you are casual you can maybe stretch it to 3-4 years if you are happy to play on the lowest settings available.

It's not a solution for actual hardcore gamers but for people like me that play 4-5 hours a day and need a laptop a 2 year lifespan seems about right.

Other advice would be DO NOT buy one just now, they are overdue to get a refresh.

4. Riffraffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Great answer! thanks slick shoes. I'm just like you - I love to game, but i gotta have a laptop.