MBP Gaming/Processor Advise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScardSanity, Jul 31, 2014.

1. ScardSanity macrumors newbie

New here, so sorry if posting in wrong section or if it's been covered elsewhere.

So I want to upgrade from an 2013 MBA to a new MBP. I use it for lots of things but nothing high intensive other than games such as EVE Online, Football Manager etc. However 5 minutes of playing any type of game on the MBA the fan kicks into overdrive and it gets seriously loud and annoying. Even when I was playing Plague Inc: Evolved which isn't even that graphic intensive. Btw I know MBA's aren't geared for gaming, but heyho I can't help myself :)

General use, and the speed of playing these games on the MBA is fine, it really just is the noise of the fan that is bugging me. I know that's what the fan is for to stop it overheating, but I just wondered if upgrading to the MBP will reduce the load on the processor, thus meaning the fan doesn't have to do as much work, so I guess that is the 1st question?

Secondly, I could get the 13" and upgrade the processor to 3.0 GHz Dual Core i7, or I could get the 15" with 2.2 GHz Quad Core i7. Am I right in thinking that going for the Quad will only really benefit me if I am multitasking, thus using all the cores? I'm only ever going to be doing one thing at a time generally, especially when gaming, so will the Quad be useful for that, or am I wasting my money and just stick to the Dual Core?

Will 16GB RAM vs 8GB RAM really make any difference either?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The fan is going to kick in with the rMBP too. That's just the reality when dealing with a small laptop. If it really bothers you, apparently there's a low-power retina 12" that might be coming that would be fanless. It would have worse performance, though.

Quad core doesn't help with multitasking in the way you're thinking. It will help with apps and games that are multicore aware (EVE is not; most games aren't.)

8 GB is plenty.

Honestly, unless you really want a retina screen, I say skip it and wait for a more substantial update.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Gaming requires power. Power produces heat. Heat needs to be extracted from the electronics for them to run well. Fan runs faster.

Getting a rMBP won't change physics. You'll still hear the fan run. Put on headphones or raise the game's volume, much cheaper fix.

The fact that you're wondering whether you'll benefit from 2 more cores or 16GB RAM tells me you need neither. People who need it usually know it.

4. kelon111 macrumors 6502

If you want a relatively quiet laptop for gaming then you can look at high end gaming laptops that are between 1 to 2 inches thick. Notice that I said relatively... If you really want a quiet computer for serious gaming you are going to have to look at desktops with liquid cooling systems and and other high quality components.

5. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Use In-Ear-Monitors while gaming, then you won't hear the fans. There are some cheap IEM's like the Shure SE215 which provides good isolation and sounds pretty good too for the money.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Almost every game is GPU limited, not CPU limited. So, the GPU is the thing you want to look at. Both of the 15" GPUs are better than the 13" GPU by a wide margin. Most current games are also 32-bit, so 8GB/16GB ram doesn't matter much. 32-bit means that the individual program can only address up to 4gb of ram.

7. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

I use smcFanControl and kick it up to 4500 RPMs while playing a game (or using anything made by Adobe ;-)). It keeps the machine cool and it rarely needs to go beyond that except on rare occasions.