MBP Gaming Without Fans!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kfmfe04, Oct 29, 2014.

1. kfmfe04 macrumors member

I recently bought a Late 2013 15" 2.3GHz rmbp with 750M to replace a 13" 2009.

I'm very happy with its performance on Yosemite - especially after Apple fixed the horrible zooming effects in Safari. After a week of configuring my machine, I thought I'd try out a few games. To my disappointment, almost every game I tried in OS X, the fans ramped up to 4-5k RPM and the machine ran hot.

Up to this point, I couldn't even tell if the fans ever even ran at all - I had to run smcFanControl to verify that they were running at 2-2.1k RPM with temperatures around 40C. This annoyed me because I could tell that the rmbp could easily stream HD content without even getting hot, much less starting up fans.

After looking around for solutions, I found that Steam recently added a new feature where you can stream a game from a PC to another PC, Mac, or Linux box. To make a long story short, I was able to run all steam games and even some Blizzard games (for WoW, use WOW.exe; for SC2, use SC2Switcher.exe) to my rmbp without the fans making any noise at all. Temperatures could go up to 50C, but was never hot.

FWIW, my PC running Windoze 8.1 with GTX660Ti and 32GB of memory hooked up via 1GB ethernet. Probably more crucial, I have a ASUS RT-N66U running asuswrt-merlin firmware which provides low latency wireless.

I like this configuration so much better that I plan to just buy PC games so I can have more space on my laptop SSD and give my rmbp a longer life by running cooler. Perhaps the only drawback is using more electricity, but that's a tiny price to pay for being able to game on the laptop without hearing the fans. IMHO, this solution is better for me than using Bootcamp or even Parallels... (better and/or cooler performance plus you save your SSD space)

If you already have a desk PC running steam games, I highly recommend that you try this out. This streaming is so much more efficient than running games onboard that I have even found videos on the web showing very nice results on a mba!

2. rmackner macrumors member

Whenever my MBP is running a heavy video load it will always run super hot. Download a 3rd party fan control app and make sure it's on a flat surface. I'd assume the plastic on most PC laptop's helps it cool off better since it doesn't hold onto the heat as long as aluminum would.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, if you push any computer to its limits (ex. gaming), it will run hot. This is a good workaround, and I use this steam feature too. It also lets you run PC games that don't work in OSX. However, before you all get too excited, you have to be on the same local area network as the PC, and you need a good gaming PC.