MBP Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubble27, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

Hello all

Im soon to invest in a MBP (15.4") top of the range with full RAM.
    Ive never did this before and i thought well its time to do it...since ive decided to ive added that im going to go all the way and switch from PC to MAC.

My question now is, mac is notorious for media, doing pictures/videos graphx ect. So why the hell do they not compete with some toshibas on there specs!

Anyway, im hoping that in the 1st 1/4 of next year the new MBP will come out with a 512mb grphx nvidia.
    Anyone hear anything about that?

Conclusion: All you MBP owners out there that also play games, does your MBP (256mb nvidia) play new games? Like Crysis or NFS Pro?
    If yes, did anyone try Fraps? or anything...to see the frame rates?
    After a while of gaming does it turn off? from overheating?

2. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I've got a brand new 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa with 2GB RAM + NVIDIA 8600GT 256 mb gfx card

I can play ANY game out on the market without ANY problems whatsoever.

Really good laptop for gaming

3. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

You sure?

On what settings?...I dont wanna spend 2k on a Mac and run COD4 in slow mo.
    What about the heat?
    Noise?

Are macs noisey? Ive got an acer that sounds like a hoover! hah Maybe a chopper about to take off any day.

4. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

The only reason I have not bought my 2.4 Ghz 15.4" with 4GB of ram is due to MWSF. If they do not update the MBP line then, I'm going to be ordering mine. Also, 4GB Ram on OWC is cheap compared to Apples. Go for Micron or Samsung.

5. pscoble macrumors 6502

Hey I would like to add that my mbp can play any of the games I try with medium to high settings so dont worry about it. However you must understand that the mbp is not a gaming comp by any large standards but it is still very respectible in the gaming area.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

People have been running COD4 at 90-150fps on MacBook Pro.

7. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Confirmed. I can easily get 60-80fps stable with my 128mb 8600 and 4gb of ram.

8. husJAF macrumors newbie

MBP Gaming

my 2.2ghz MBP with 2gb ram and 128mb 8600gt running COD4 at medium to high settings at res 1280*720 around 70fps

On stock settings it runs quite hot, around 75oC and sounds like a hover with fans spinning at max but dont notice with headphones in.

I've also installed the latest nvidia drivers for bootcamp and overclocked the graphics card alittle, and max temp measured is 80oC under heavy load.
    Not done any proper benchmarks on it yet but bootcamp never crashed on me while playing games.

9. mostro900 macrumors member

OS X or Windoze...

So are you guys running COD4 under Windows ? bootcamping it ?
    I'd like t play some games on my MBP, but would prefer OS X titles...

10. palmerized macrumors regular

Man, I don't understand PC gaming. Why not get a Xbox 360 or PS3 and never have to worry if your machine can handle the game?

Then, use your Mac for all the video/photo stuff.

Consoles are dirt cheap now -- less than the price of a hefty graphics card.

I'm a gamer -- on my 360 -- and I love that any game I pick up will run at perfect speed. I don't have to check the bottom of the box looking for system requirements and upgrading my expensive PC just to play a game.

My two cents. I know people will say PC games are far superior, but to each their own. Just something to consider...

11. jpod89 macrumors member

I prefer having the best of both worlds - Console and computer gaming. Some games come out for computer platforms only, and vice versa. I would rather be limited by console as to what games I play (it's easier to justify not paying $400.00 to play a game and maybe a few others in the future) then be limited in a computer/console way.

12. soms macrumors 6502

soms

The only thing I miss about my PC is being able to play good RTS games and having a mouse/keyboard for FPS games, otherwise console>pc gaming.

13. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

HalfLife2 and CounterStrike games works and looks great
    BioShock works and looks great
    F.E.A.R works and looks great
    COD4 works and looks great
    Halo one AND Halo2 both work and look great

Crysis is next, havnt tried it yet but I am prepared to turn some of the settings down, maybe a lot. :rolleyes:

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Flight Sim X is quite frankly amazing running through bootcamp btw. Only problem is lack of hd space on my FAT32 partition...:(

15. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Ive only tried Battlefield 2142 on bootcamp, runs pretty good on it. Its crashed a few times on me, but it runs smoothly otherwise. Pariah I installed but it wont work on it.

For my Mac games, I have to many to list. For starters, Doom 3, Unreal 2004, Civilization 4, AoE 2, Colin Macrae Rally, Halo, Prey, Quake 4, etc. All run great.

16. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the feedback everyone!

To all who asked about the console, Im more of a mouse/keyboard person! Dont like aiming with the analog stick. But i geuss im gona end up investing in one of those later one.

As said before, spending 2k on a MBP is alot...so why not make it compare to a 1k toshiba on its gaming since MAC tops off PC on media/graphics/sound etc.

They should really go all the way. I hope the next gen of MBP is 512mb nvidia.

Maybe with a card reader aswell :)

Oh, does anyone run the Hz of the screen more than 60?
    If i do that on my Acer it might blow :p hahah

17. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Team Fortress 2, PES 2008... ten years ago you may have had a point, but console games are getting as buggy and unreliable as PC counterparts, with devs relying on patches, firmware updates and the like. It's a shame.

There are ExpressCard 34 memory card readers for the MBP, I don't see Apple ever tacking on such a feature as standard.

18. ksa macrumors newbie

I've been playing Crysis on my MBP 2.2. And It runs fine at 1024 with medium settings. Until I get intro every heavy combat it can lag :(.

Without AA btw

19. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Well Half Life 2 and Call Of Duty 4 are considered to be quite graphic-intensive games, and i have ALL SETTINGS on HIGH!

And there are NO problems whatsoever.

In terms of noise, I don't really hear it because I use a pair of Sennheiser HD650 Headphones when playing!

:D

20. iBunny macrumors 65816

The MBP is the best performing laptop for its size. I do not know of another Laptop, with as much power as the C2D and the NVidia GeForce 8600GT in such a thin enclousure.

21. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

COD4 will run a charm on that MBP. I can play it at about 50fps on high settings on a now ancient Pentium 4 3.0ghz PC with 1gb of ram and an oldie gfx card.
    So dont worry it will run fine on that machine ;)

22. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I am playing Crysis fie on my 17" MBP, fine on high with stock 2 gigs ram.

23. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Curious, what rez?

24. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

Check with crucial, last month I bought 2GB for my MBP, it was $70 shipped.

25. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

Agreed