MBP gets stuck at the white Apple startup screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ctyhntr, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Last two days, I notice that my MBP gets stuck at the white Apple startup screen until I reboot.

I've also notice getting the beachball, even when using Firefox.

Any ideas where and what I can look for?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

details details details details, it bares repeating!

any peripherals connected? which?

firefox is sht, bares repeating too, possibly has to do with the above.

3. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

MBP 15" mid 2009 4GB. At home its connected to a 25" HDMI external monitor and a 2.0 USB Kensington switch. The USB switch is hooked up to 3 external hard drives, a color laser printer, a b&w printer, external light scribe DVD burner, and a Microsoft scroll mouse.

Its been getting stuck at the white Apple splash screen whether at home or outside (on battery power). On battery mode I usually connect a Microsoft scroll mouse after startup.

Last two weeks I've been playing around with iMovie and iDVD. Usually I use it with Firefox, XCode, QuickTime and VLC.

4. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Hmm, no one ever experience anything like this before? I want to nip this in the bud before it gets to a point where I can't turn off the machine, because it will permanently get stuck at the white Apple startup screen.

5. shneady macrumors member

Not sure if this will help... The exact same thing happened to me with my white macbook that has a removable battery though. I removed the battery, and held the power button down for about 15 seconds. I popped the battery back in, plugged the power adaptor in and rebooted. Everything was back to normal again and the performance was as usual.

Doing this drains all the power from the PSU capacitors and all the power from the motherboard, thus wiping all the data held in RAM and cache memory as these need power to hold their data... Anyway, it's like a completely fresh reboot... Hope this was helpful. At least it worked for me.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

shneady has some good advice. Check the Apple support pages for how to reset the PRAM if your battery is not removable.

Do you have AppleCare (or still in the first year)? If so, give them a call... you paid for it, may as well use it.

There is an extended hardware test on the installation CD. AppleCare can talk you though it, or if you don't have AC, search the Apple Support pages. There is a wealth of information there, and most questions like this can be answered there. I would tell you how to do it, if I knew, but I don't.

Good Luck.

7. isimon117 macrumors member

This recently happened to me on 10.5.8, and I was getting stuck on a blue screen, so I tried to reset the pvram, repair the hard drive, disk permissions, and I ended up wiping my hard drive and upgrading to snow leopard.

8. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I had to repeatedly reset the power button today to get past the startup screen

I'm still within my first year's warranty, but the 90 day complimentary phone support is over. I was going to buy Applecare, right before the warranty runs out.

I'll try clearing the PRAM tonight. Wish me best of luck.

9. snberk103, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

snberk103 macrumors 603

Call AppleCare. I'm pretty sure that the 90 day complimentary phone support is for general type questions, not warranty repairs. If it's broken, you can call them for up to a year. They're pretty good, in my experience. Good Luck

10. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Thanks, I'll give them a call after this weekend.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

And..... ???

12. ctyhntr thread starter macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Clearing the PRAM seems to work. It only got stuck twice this entire week, so far so good. Battery life indicator at 100% calculates to less than 4 hours. I'll calibrate the battery later this weekend.

Thank you for the help.