MBP gets stuck D:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcomac, Jan 5, 2013.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

my MBP is 1.5 years old. it didnt start acting up until the beginning of this school year. sometimes it would freeze and i cant move the mouse cursor or anything. i have no choice but to press power button and restart the computer. this has happened 4-5 times already for the past 1.5 years. is this normal or do i have something suspicious going on? i have been watching movies online from websites that always give pop-ups. can this be from virus or some malware? also, is there a way to block pop-ups in firefox? i have the pop-up blocker in the browser itself enabled but is there another plugin or something like that that can work better?

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

A couple of points I'd like to make:

1. I wouldn't advise watching movies for "free" (which it sounds like you're doing; sorry if I'm wrong). Not only are they illegal, but most of them are pretty sketchy sites where viruses and trojans are likely to exist. It is possible you received some bad stuff through a Java security exploit. As such, I wouldn't recommend you visit these sites in the future.

2. It's also possible there is a memory leak, and when your computer runs out of memory after rebooting, it freezes. Is there a certain patten to which your computer freezes (like maybe after "x" amount of time using it, or after running/while using certain applications)?

Just my "two" cents.

3. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

how do i know if i have trogan and other malwares? i have macfee antivirus and nothing has popped up yet. i thought it was pretty hard for macs to get trogan and bad stuff. also, what do you mean running out of memory? i have the 4gb version.. what exact does that memory do?

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Sorry, I should have been more detailed and helpful.

I can't help you with removing Mac malware as I just ordered my first MacBook Pro (and will be the first time using OSX since 2010). It is fairly difficult for Macs to get viruses. However, when running a Java applet, its a bit easier for one to "download" files to your computer.

In simple terms, memory "assists" your computer in running applications. A memory leak means your memory is "running out". Once it runs out, your computer will freeze (it doesn't permanently run out, but just for the session that your computer is turned on). Memory problems could be caused by memory installed wrongly, or more likely, a glitch in a particular app.

However, there's no certainty that a memory leak/problem or a virus/malware is even the cause of your freezing, it's just a possibility.

I hope this helps.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

There is no virus for the Mac.
    Malware yes, but those can be avoided with common sense

Try ClamXav. This scans your computer for free.

I believe GGJstudios will post the link to virus and malware stuff for you.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Read this first: Malware FAQ

You should try Safari for a while and see if it still is a problem, Firefox might be giving these problems.
    Safari is Apple's own Browser as you probably know, it is also one of the best, just use this one.
    Also, I recommend not to use too many $%^&& extensions, a few good ones no problems but there's bad ones too.

1. Complete FUD Read this first: Malware FAQ

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Pop-up ads on websites are common, and are not caused by viruses or other forms of malware. They can be blocked by one or more ad blockers or pop-up blockers.

As already stated, no viruses exist in the wild that can run on your Mac, and only a handful of trojans, which must be installed before they can run, and are quite rare for an average Mac user to encounter. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.