MBP gets very hot... Fix after reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdahe, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

This is something wierd happening to my MBP. Sometimes it starts to act slow and chunky and it gets very, very HOT. It acts like when an application is not responding.... after I reboot it gets colder and works fine. What could be causing this?... and how can I fix it without rebooting?

Thanks

2. kolax macrumors G3

Get iStat Pro widget (Google it) and report back what the fan speed and temperatures are.

Also, more details on your MBP. How old it is, what generation..

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I have iStat Pro installed...

My MBP is from the last generation. I think is like 4 months old

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It sounds like something is eating up CPU time in the background. In activity monitor, set it to show all processes in the dropdown menu, and sort by CPU%.

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well then what temperature does it reach? Check what is using up your CPU under activity monitor.

6. jwksmith macrumors member

Go to the Activity Monitor and see what apps are using the CPU. On the Activity Monitor menu bar, select Window/Activity Monitor. The cpu column shows who is using what. If an app is at 90 percent or so, it will be the one causing the problem ( overheating ).

I have iAntivirus installed and from time to time, it will get into an endless loop and suck the cpu under causing the unit to get hot. I just reboot or kill the task. Rebooting is safer.

You also can just terminate all the apps by hitting Command Q until nothing is running except finder.

7. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe