mbp getting the beachball in dvd player app

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcpshortbus, Jul 27, 2010.

1. pcpshortbus macrumors member

i recently bought my macbook pro and have been absolutely loving it. yesterday i ripped some of my dvd's using mac the ripper onto my computer. for some reason when i attempt to open "shutter island" under file>open dvd media, the movie will stutter at the beginning and then play. the only problem is the dvd player will lock up and i will get the spinning beachball any time i move the cursor over the application, remote control for it, or the menu bar at the top of the screen. because of this i am not able to put the movie in full screen, minimize it, pause it, fast forward it, etc.. anyone know how to fix this problem? i dont know if it makes much of a difference, but the app version is 5.3. thanks!

2. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

3. Outbreak macrumors newbie

is it possible the dvd is corrupted (scratches, dust?). Have you tried other dvds and had similar problems?

4. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

It sounds like a corupted file possibly from a bad DVD. As suggested already try another DVD to see if this preforms better. Also you could try cleaning the first DVD and try to rip it again or test the file on another computer.

5. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

i am able to open the movie in other media players and it does not have any problems, but i much prefer the standard dvd player app. and i also ripped a few of my other dvd's and had no issues with the playback on those. thanks for the replies btw! :)

6. Outbreak macrumors newbie

Sounds very odd. I'm out of Troubleshooting ideas, maybe someone with more knowledge of OSX can help you out man. sorry.