MBP, gfxCardStatus and video card switching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by signal, Jun 29, 2010.

1. signal macrumors newbie

I have just upgraded to a brand new MBP 15". This MBP has the two video cards, Intel and Nvidia. I installed gfxCardStatus v1.7.5 so I can see quickly which one is in use.

I was using the nvidia card, which is the higher performance. I had parallels running and it was "dependant" on the nVidia card. So even when I went to battery power, it stayed in nvidia.

I closed parallels (while on battery power) and it switched to Intel video, so that works. Then I plugged the power back in, and have been plugged in for hours, I even unplugged the power and plugged it back in (switch from A/C power to battery, and back to A/C power) but it just stays on Intel.

Shouldn't it switch back to nvidia when I am on A/C power? My energy saver settings are set for it to automatically switch video cards. gfxCardStatus shows it set to Dynamic Switching as well.

Brian

2. jimba macrumors newbie

The gfx card switching depends on the application you are currently using, not on the fact that you are using your battery or not. You are enabled btw to use your nvidia graphic card all the time when you power adapter is plugged in but..why if it's not necessary?