MBP gives me serious electric shocks when connected to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jumbb, May 12, 2012.

1. jumbb, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

jumbb macrumors regular

Hi there!
    I connect mi macbook pro to mi TV using a VGA cable that came with the tv and an apple adapter , it didn't happen at first but it started giving me electric shocks every time I connected it, I usually saw movies via Netflix so I just connected it and din't touch it until the movie ended
    A few months after using it that way I had to get my mac fixed and they changed the hard drive because it was damaged.
    I don't know if the shocks could be a reason that happened and if I need to stop doing that or if you have any tips on why it gives me electric shocks and how to keep that from happening.
    Thanks for your help!

2. paul117 macrumors regular

im not sure if its the same else where but in Australia the MBP comes with a 2 prong adaptor and a 3 prong cord (the 3rd being grounding) with the 2 prong i will frequently get electric shocks when i would touch it with the 3 prong nothing.... but i have my iphone or ipad chargeing and i am holding it and say my leg touches my macbook pro ill get a nasty zap and if i move my hand along any bit of the macbook pro my hand will start tingleing... so maybe its something similar in ur case.

3. jumbb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for answering! :)
    I do have a 3 prong cord but my house's connectors only work with two, so that really doesn't help.
    I'm just wondering if this electric discharges might damage my hard drive...

4. paul117 macrumors regular

i think its possable but i wouldnt see it as being likely. i have heard and seen hard drives fail due to power surges and so on but i have not heard of a hard drive failing on a macbook pro due to your issues.