MBP glitchy and asks to be turned off constantly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DAM-Photography, Oct 30, 2010.

1. DAM-Photography macrumors member

So I recently got 8GB of ram installed on my MBP; I ran Rember several times and everything was good. This week my mbp has been glitchy and pops a screen up that says hold down power button and turn it off then press power again. Any suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. DAM-Photography thread starter macrumors member

4. DAM-Photography thread starter macrumors member

I had another one on the 1st. The past two days have been fine though, should I be concerned?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, you weren't having kernel panics, you installed new RAM, and then you started having them, so yes, there's something to be concerned about--your RAM could be DoA.

As suggested, try swapping it out for the old stuff. If you no longer have any panics, call OWC and get your RAM RMA'd for a new pair--they're good with warranty support so far as I know, and I've always liked their stuff.

If the panics keep happening, then there's either a coincidental software glitch--the only good way to test is an OS reinstall--or something coincidentally broke at the same time as installing the RAM (or, I suppose, you broke it with static, but that's unlikely). In which case the options would be to either live with it, or call Apple if it's still under warranty.

You mentioned Rember, but have you tried running Apple's hardware test disc that came with the computer? It can occasionally find things, although a clean bill of health from it doesn't guarantee nothing's wrong.

6. DAM-Photography thread starter macrumors member

Update

So I dropped it off at Mac Authority last week, and told them all of the problems I was having. They did extensive testing and told me everything was working fine, and nothing was wrong. I get home today and have 3 kernic panic messages in a row. Getting very irritated as I can't get anything done without a message popping up.
    I guess I'm going to try and drop it off at a different store.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Have you tried pulling the RAM and seeing how it behaves? A clean bill of health from testing doesn't guarantee there's nothing wrong, depending on what exactly is misbehaving, and given that there was one obvious thing that changed before you started having problems, there's a very easy way to test and see if reverting fixes them.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The people at Mac Authority must be idiots. Obviously if you're having kernel panics there is an issue. It's definitely your RAM, make sure to get RAM that is advertised as MBP compatible.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

The people at Mac Authority may or may not be idiots--it depends on what they were testing for--but if you note the link the OP provided, you'll see that (s)he used RAM that's about as Mac-compatible as you could possibly get--OWC brand designed for that specific Mac.

10. DAM-Photography thread starter macrumors member

The RAM is compatible...

I think I'm going to send the RAM back and try two new stick and perhaps that will help.