MBP - Glossy/Matte?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agojes, Jan 26, 2008.

1. agojes macrumors member

Hi all,

This is my first time writing in the forum.
    I'm about to buy a MBP. However, can't decide whether I should go for glossy or the regular matte screen.
    I saw from the guide that the glossy will give you rich colors.

I know that it's on paper technologically wise. What I would like is, some inputs on from you people who experience the difference between the matte and glossy screen.
    How will the screen fare to you and how about reflection and stuffs like that? Is it worth it to go for glossy?

I recently purchased the 20" 2.4GHz Alu iMac. I know it has a glossy screen. However, I can't really compare that screen with the laptop one as I'm going to take the laptop along with me to different places.

FYI: from where I come from, to get the the glossy screen MBP, I would have to 'special order' it and wait for another 2 to 3 weeks to get the item. (I know it sucks). And that brings me to another question for you guys. Is it really worth it to upgrade the drive size to 200GB 7200RPM? I don't mean the size, but the rotation speed.

What are the advantages of having higher rotation speed for this particular MBP, and what are some issues that I might have to deal with or that I might have to know beforehand? For instance, heat issue maybe or noise?

Because if I have to special order the MBP to get the glossy screen, I might as well upgrade the Hard Drive to 200GB 7200RPM one.

Thank you all,
    Any inputs will be much appreciated.

BTW: if I just go for the regular matte screen, I have no problem getting the item instantly.

2. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Well, it all depends on the type of work you're gonna use it for?

If you're a professional photographer you should probably stay far away from the glossy, but if you're just a regular "internet user" I think you'll be fine with it. :)

The speedier hard disk will probably help if you're doing any type of professional work, or if you want to use it for gaming.

But we can't really give you advise without knowing your type of use, so give more details! :)

3. agojes thread starter macrumors member

I just use it for office and personal works. I don't do games intensively. In fact I rarely play games on a laptop.
    However, I occasionally do some video editing. It's homemade movies from my own handycam.

Photos: I'm no professional photographer, I just like to organize my pictures, edit them a little bit.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I'm a student as well and my MBP have a glossy screen. I'm perfectly happy with it. It looks really crisp and colour pops out! I say go for the glossy. :)

5. VincentPun macrumors member

I think glossy is for watching movies.

I you occasionally watch movies, choose matte.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Me i'd go for matte, my gf has a glossy if she's in a well lite room or
    outside and not looking directly at the screen you cant see jack s**t

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Never get glossy. If you do, you'll spend your life trying to keep it dust free and the thick rim on the display means that it's practically impossible to get the dust clean off.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you use the search feature at the top of this page, you'll find that the glossy vs. matte debate has been done to death on the forums.

To summarize: it's completely up to one's personal preferences.
    Recommendation: go to local Apple store/reseller, compare them yourself.

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I have a light on my desk and if it is on I would be very surprised if the glossy didn't pick it up badly. Thus, I went with matte and love it.

10. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

Buy the glossy model if you're not using it for professional photography or video work. I find the "less accurate," more vivid color output of the glossy display to be worth the tradeoffs for the consumer-level user.

11. agojes thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the inputs, I value all of them. However, the place where I live now, we don't have the luxury of seeing the products or put it in another word, there's no display model for MBP.

It's an luxury item for us who lives in Indonesia. Therefore, they just show the item in the 'off' condition. In addition, somehow all the places that sell apple products don't have the glossy model. Therefore, I can't really compare those 2 types.

So, I'm posting in this thread asking inputs from people about their experience. Why do they choose the particular one.
    I understand that it's a matter of personal preference, I just want to weigh in everything before making any decision.

Again, thank you all. I think I decided to go with glossy.

12. ewxlt macrumors regular

"You think." :)

Just got a MB Glossy. Very happy with it coming off two matte powerbooks.

13. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yeah, I bought my wife a glossy MB for Christmas and just last night ordered a glossy MBP because I loved the way the glossy look. I know the glossy is less accurate but since I'm only using my MBP for work, school, and internet browsing (no gaming, video or photo editing) I'm perfectly content with the glossy.

14. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I have the matte screen and I absolutely love it, great viewing angles and great color, rich blacks and good color accuracy. I'm not much a fan of glossy screens these days.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just got a glossy screen. Its great. So far, glare and reflections haven't been an issue.

16. wentwj macrumors regular

Have had a glossy MB for a little over a year now. Never had any real issues with glare, used it outside, with well lit rooms, ect. I've never noticed any of the issues the gloss haters seem to have.

Having come off using a matte PB, I liked the glossy better. But I'm sure it just comes down to preference so... I'm not sure what to tell you since you can't compare them.

17. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Go with matte. People who say that their glossy screens don't give them distracting reflections are either on crack or in denial.

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The only time you'll see reflections in a glossy screen is when you've got a light source directly behind your head. I'm using my Macbook in a room right now with daylight pouring in through a window, and there aren't any reflections in my screen. I'd go with the glossy.

19. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

I have a Matte 15'' MBP and like it alot. Personally though, I'm very distracted with glossy screens when their in a decently lit room. It's just me, but I tend to focus on the reflections a bit too much. Plus, glossy is very very hard to see outside, especially on a sunny day.

I went through the same thing, Matte or glossy, when I was trying to decide which MBP to buy. Everything on a Matte supposedly is more acurate but glossy does make everything look nice. It all comes down to personal preference.

20. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I just realised that I have to go through this decision myself in a few days! :eek:

It's a tough call… I'm really interested in seeing the shiny gloss, but at the same time I do want to publish things (like on the internet), and I'd like to know how it looks to others (without glossy screens), and how it will look on prints…

So… hmm… I'll let you know what I decide… but I'm definitely waiting for an update first! :)

21. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

That's just rude!

22. basqarl macrumors regular

My son has had a glossy MBP for about a year. He wishes he had gotten a matte screen. This is even though he spends a lot of time watching movies on his laptop.

I'm still waiting for the upgrade in the MBP before I get one, but although the glossy is gorgeous, I'm going matte because of the greater color accuracy when photo editing.

23. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

There is no good answer, no good or wrong choice...it really depends on your needs and tastes...personnaly i use my MBP everyday...night and day for leasure...surfing on the net, movies, photos, etc...
    I have a glossy screen and love it...i have never ever been disturbed by any said mirror effect or so...
    X

24. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I deny being on crack . . .:D