MBP Goes to sleep when unplugged...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OnTrack Studios, Apr 26, 2008.

1. OnTrack Studios macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

Here's the scenario:

MBP plugged in, lid closed, using external monitor only. But when I unplug it, it immediately goes into sleep mode and doesn't wake until I open the lid.

Is this normal?

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Is there a wired/wireless mouse and/or a keyboard connected?

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes, this is normal. I use the same setup. The MPB does not supply (using the battery only) enough power to the DVI connector. It needs the external power source to drive the external monitor through the DVI port.

4. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

okay cool, thanks....that's what I figured. Guess it makes sense. How many people carry around an external monitor AND a notebook lol.

5. latafairam macrumors member

I was using my macbook pro with an external monitor and running off the battery. I did this for at least 4 times at my job. I would plug in the power only when I got the warning that the battery was low.
    Suddenly one night the computer just went to sleep still with 30% of battery life.
    since then I can only run it with a power cord attached.
    But i know I could before then. don't know what happened.

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

A similar thing happened to me too, but it kept happening at the strangest times, like when my battery was 95% full, and then after that the battery simply inflated. Its hard to describe, but it just doubled in size.

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I just realized that I cant run this setup without the power being plugged into my MBP. Prior to July of 08, I was able to but now... I cant.. what changed ?

8. jargonblimp macrumors newbie

Has anybody found a solution to this?

Or any ideas?

I have the same issue. MBP on 10.4.11 connected to a Dell display. In clamshelll (ext only) mode, the computer will immediately go to sleep if I unplug the power and won't wake up until the power is plugged in again. This doesn't happen when the MBP is alone w/o a display.

Edit: This only happens in clamshell mode. When both displays are up, the problem does not occur. It only happens in clamshell mode.

9. P4TC macrumors newbie

Download Insomnia and enable it when your MacBook is plugged into a display.
    Cheers