MBP going in for repairs - best backup solution?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eVolcre, Jun 3, 2009.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I have a quick question. My MBP is going in for repairs this evening and I was wondering what the best backup solution would be ...

My machine is currently cloned to an external through carbon copy cloner.

Assuming that my hard drive will be wiped out or that I may need to get a new laptop - should I keep the clone or do a time machine backup? Which method would be easier to restore to a new laptop?

I don't have a spare MAC lying around and worst case scenario is that I need to buy a new machine this week. The clone restricts me to a FW laptop, right?

What would you recommend? I can't do both because of space restrictions on my external

Cheers - eV

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would do a time machine backup, it will make it easier on you for when you restore the data and the end result will be the same.

3. macboy4 macrumors regular

Ditto to Time Machine. I've had several laptops replaced by Apple, and I've used Time Machine to restore a system 5 separate times. It's foolproof and relatively fast.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Either Super Duper or TM will be fine. Super Duper will give you exactly what you had before. TM will allow you to reinstall the OS fresh, potentially clearing out some cruft in the process.

I'd recommend backing up and then reformat, reinstall a fresh OS before sending to Apple. In the case that you don't get your computer or original drive back, you'll be confident that your private data isn't floating around somewhere. A quick google search will show that even the US military doesn't properly wipe their drives before throwing them out. Even if you get your original computer back, there are also reports of unscrupulous computer repair people who steal files off of the computers they repair.

When you get your machine back, it is a simple operation to copy your backup back onto the computer.

5. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks all.

I'm going to go ahead and do a TM backup then.

dacreativeguy - I didn't even think of reformatting the HD. Very good idea considering all the info I have on it. Problem is that I don't have my original install discs with me. Any workaround?

eV

6. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Also - does restoring from a TM backup keep all the prefs, safari history, sticky note contents etc intact?

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I restored my mom's MacBook from TM twice after HD failures and everything was restored. You can actually dive into the directories of you TM backup and see all the files for yourself.

For the OP, if you don't have your install disc then SuperDuper would be your best option to make a full clone.

8. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Sorry, I'm a little confused now. I don't have my install discs. But I think I can still do a TM backup. When the machine comes back from Applecare it will have an OS on it.

I liked your suggestion about reformatting the HD but didn't know how to do that since I don't have the install discs. Is there any other way to wipe out the data before I give it for support? I have my mail, docs, pics, music etc on it and it doesn't seem smart to give it to them the way it is. WHo knows how honest the support people are!~

eV

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After you do the Time Machine backup, disconnect the drive…

Then create a new admin user account; log into that account and then use it to delete everything from your "primary" account; then do a "zero-out free space".

10. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks everyone. I ended up doing a clone using CCC and deleted my primary account from the admin account. May not be perfect but it works for now.