MBP going to China

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fongyuen, Jul 10, 2007.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

hello everyone, just wanted to solicit some advice. i'm going overseas to china for 1-2 years and i just wanted to know what people would suggest in terms of power converters and insurance. should i get applecare or go with www.safeware.com? the latter will probably be more expensive but i think it covers more than applecare :confused: ok, thanks.

2. mchank macrumors regular

I lived in China for a couple of years with my Powerbook 12" and it was fine as the Apple power adapter converts the voltage. However I'd advise you to use the extended cord with the 3 prongs as that grounds the laptop. I remember a current running through my metal powerbook with using the two prong; didn't do any damage but I got a nice buzz every time I touched the metal.

3. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice. will do with that 3 prong. anything else?

4. mchank macrumors regular

I don't have any experience with Safeware, but Applecare is applicable in Beijing where I lived. Apple has a contract with a third party there that does repairs and they replaced my ipod. It took about a week; pretty decent experience but not as good as a regular Apple Store. Apple doesn't have any stores of its own so its products are sold through third parties. I'd recommend buying any Apple branded stuff here in the States first before you go as Apple products are pretty pricey because of import fees and the selection is limited.

5. JonathanG macrumors newbie

Going to China

What is this Apple Power adapter? I am going to China as well and would like to pick up the one size fits all converter, but not sure where to get it. I asked the apple store and they said Radio Shack. No one at Radio Shack seems to know much about it. Any advice is much appreciated.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

for my travels i got the world adaptor kid from apple. I also got some converter thing from radio shack. i've used it china, australia, and all over europe

7. JonathanG macrumors newbie

Did you get the world adapter at an apple store? how much do those things cost?