MBP got scammed on Craigslist?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hastyle, Dec 9, 2010.

1. hastyle macrumors member

Hey guys, My sister has a 17" Macbook pro, but wanted the 15" to go to school and i said id take the 17 off her and get her a 15" so I went on craigslist and purchased a 15 i7 that came with apple care extended. So i purchased it, got home and tried to transfer registration of the 15 with the 17, but they would not allow me to transfer the apple care because it wasn't in my name, I gave the name of the guy who gave it to me, but they wont accept it they said the person has to call in. Also they said its registered to a completely different person then the one provided. The guy told me it was purchase by him and the item was not even registered. so now im screwed with a 15" and apple care extended that i paid for and can't even use. the guy wont answer my email, he called from a private number. I dont know what to do, the applecare was like 350 bucks. So i havent even turned on the computer yet cuz i want to return it. Something sounds fishy with this item, not sure if its hot or something. Is there any other way to get that applecare warranty to my sister. Even if i have to keep it now and log into it with my apple id, will the warranty + applecare ext be applied to me? or am i SOL out of any warranty ?

Help please! thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a well-known fact that Craigslist is filled with scammers. If you read the MR Guides and search the forums you'll find quite a few threads on this issue and plenty of information and warnings about buying and/or selling on Craigslist.

Even Craigslist warns you about scams: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Under legitimate conditions, all that's required to transfer AppleCare is to call Apple and give them the new owner's info. The previous owner doesn't have to be involved at all. You can check the serial number of the MBP here, to see what warranty/AppleCare is registered to it. If AC wasn't registered to the computer, you're out of luck.

3. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Ive bought other stuff from there never had a problem, i thought i covered everything with caution before buying this, it was sealed, i ask for the serial and i checked it out on the website and the warranty is extended to 2013. So i thought it was all good and i didn't have any problems.

I called them up and they refuse to transfer the applecare to the 17" unless the registered owner of the applecare or macbook not sure calls in. Im not sure what you mean by i'm out of luck??!? So if cant transfer it , is there no way around it? the 17" warranty expires soon so i wanna apply it to that while i still can. But if im stuck with this mbp, will i at least be covered for the full warranty 3 years or just 1 year or none at all?. like if i go to the apple store with it, will they fix it for me even though its not in my name?

thanks.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

This is entirely a civil matter, since it is a case of you said he said. If have contact information for the person who sold you the computer, you can hire an attorney and take him to small claims court or do it yourself. It is not a criminal matter.

I have bought and sold many things on CL even computers with no problems. We usually meet in a parking lot exchange cash for the goods and everyone is happy. I once bought a brand new still sealed laptop for cash and carry and it was a great transaction.

Unfortunately the media doesn't report all the good transactions on CL, which far outweigh the minute amount of bad ones. Don't let this one transaction sour you in future transactions.

I can tell you however that since Ebay began in the 90's, they have had more bad (rip off) transactions than anywhere else. And PayPal is one of the worst payment intermediaries ever constructed.

Bottom line there is potential for adverse transactions in everyday commerce. Sort of got off the tangent here but I dislike CL taking all the heat for crooks when Ebay has more of them combined.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't transfer AppleCare from one computer to the other. I thought you meant you wanted to transfer AppleCare to the new owner. AppleCare is bought for a specific device and cannot be transferred to another device. If you want AppleCare on your 17", you'll have to buy it, like everyone else.

6. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

bingo

7. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

ok, understood, so if i keep this macbook, am i screwed out of applecare i bought? at the website it does show this macbook has 3 years, but if i go to the store and its not in my name will they fix it for me still, will i be covered for 1 year and for the 2 year ext i bought?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it shows 3 years on that website I gave you, then it's covered. It doesn't matter what the owner's name is. AppleCare, like the Apple Limited Warranty, follows the device, not the owner. You can buy a Mac along with AppleCare and give it as a gift to someone else. When they go to have it serviced, the only thing Apple cares about is that the Mac has coverage on it, regardless of the owner's name.

9. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
    Estimated Expiration Date: December 5, 2013

Ok well i guess im not completely screwed if i have to keep it, i guess ill just have to go out and purchase another applecare for the 17"

10. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

How did you get screwed even a little bit???, sounds like a legit deal. You bought a new 15" macbook pro with apple care, and you have a 15" macbook pro with apple care.

How were you screwed, even if not completely?

11. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

well i guess not, but the seller is not returning my calls, its not even registered to the name he provided. A) i cant transfer applecare to my 17", and B) I thought because i don't have ownership of the applecare that i cant even use it for myself, but if you say it doesn't matter and i can use the applecare for the 15" i bought then yeah its ok.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sounds like your sister got the 15 she wanted and with AC to boot ... looks like she is ready for school :cool:

13. ShiftClick, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Oh okay, I wasn't clear that the purchases were separate purchases. It sounded like from your post that you were purchasing a 15" with Applecare not a 15" and Applecare.

My guess is that part was a misunderstanding between you and the seller. I guess I would assume if it was in the same ad that they would be married already. And if you were the least bit panicky or rude in your email to the seller he is probably ignoring you. If he knows what he sold you is good and you are crying the sky is falling he might figure its not worth it to try and reason with you.

Why not have your sister buy AC for the 17" its cheaper than 350 on Amazon, and call it a square deal.

14. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats what i will do now. spent enough on this macbook already though. Well thanks for all the help guys. :)

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

just to be sure folks- this really isnt a scam then? or is it since the different name?

16. smith25 macrumors newbie

This wk in scam land, Be careful out there....

Wed, December 15, 2010 4:04:39 PM
    Re: A 3.06Ghz processor 17" MacBook Pro - $1200
    Mike Petko <mikeptk@gmail.com>
    Add to Contacts
    To: Jerry Smith <smith.jerry25@yahoo.com>

At this moment I am in Illinois in a military base getting ready for Afghanistan and I cannot leave the base.
    Delivery of the Macbook to your address is not a problem because I can do it at no cost for you in case we have a deal using fedex overnight.You will receive the mackbook along with all the accessories.
    We will complete the deal only using an authorized trusted third party like Amazon Checkout, using their protection program. The payment will be handled by Amazon Checkout and you will benefit of 5 inspection time period and the option to accept or reject the Macbook on my expense. It is a moneyback guarantee transaction because I will not get the money until you decide to keep the Macbook. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info and the official transaction will be started and you will be contacted by Amazon Checkout agents. All informations about the process will be provided as soon as the transaction will be opened.
    Please reply at your earliest!!

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Jerry Smith <smith.jerry25@yahoo.com> wrote:

To far for me to go, good luck>>>>>>>>

To: Jerry Smith <smith.jerry25@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Wed, December 15, 2010 2:59:32 PM
    Subject: Re: A 3.06Ghz processor 17" MacBook Pro - $1200

Hi
    I am selling this MacBook because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan and I need the money in the shortest possible time. The price is low because I need to sell it before Dec 20. It is in immaculate condition, barley used.
    It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $1200.00. The MacBook is in Springfield, IL.
    Let me know if you are interested, email me back.

Thank you

SSG Mike Petko
    139th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
    Springfield, Illinois Army National Guard

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Not a scam.

Last time I checked, you cannot transfer Apple Care except within 30 days of purchasing.

18. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

:confused:

19. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

sry for the confusion
    i meant in reference to this quote:
    and because the OP had not realized that Apple care sticks with the computer and you cannot transfer...