MBP GPU Fried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by recoman3, Sep 22, 2008.

1. recoman3 macrumors member

I have a 17" 2.4ghz MBP 1920px 256mb M8600 2GBram

My MBP crashed while playing Diablo 2 (probably from overheating, I had been playing a little over an hour) a few days after the 10.5.5 update. Now when I turn it on I get up to the apple logo with the spinning wheel over it, and then all these "artifact" thingies you get from a broken GPU come slowly rolling down the screen, with the turn off your mac message.

This happens everytime I try to turn on the computer (I've reset PMU and PRAM countless times, and when I try doing a safe boot (holding down shift) the computer stays indefinitely on the apple logo screen getting hotter and hotter); except twice when it actually booted into the OS (once was when I was showing it to the apple store guy, to him it looked like my comp had no probs at that stage) If I get into the OS then I can restart etc as many times as I want as if it is normal. However, while I was on I was trying to back up some of my files when it overheated and crashed again.

Since the MBP works on occasion, I suspect that the problem may not just be a GPU thing, but also a software thing. I'm waiting for it to come to a working state again to back up all my data before I can do a clean install of the OS. If this fails I am told that I need to change my logic board, which is priced to make the apple one care thing I did not buy look like a bargain (I'm 3 months out of warranty).

Just so you know, the ram is connected to the computer correctly.

Do any of you know what the best course of action would be? How can I make my computer start somehow without encountering the GPU crash so I can get into the OSX, or some sort of consol to get the computer to speed up its fans, lower dependence on GPU, or reinstall everything from the DVD that came with it.

If all of these fail I wonder if I can take the case up with the department of fair trading (here in Australia); a few computer engineers etc have told me that GPU failures (and you would have heard of Nvidia's M8600s overheating) are classified as manufacturing faults and should be free of charge to replace. I may write to apple first though..

Thanks in advance to your replies.

2. newbie jnr macrumors member

First of all, do you have applecare?

second, if the GPU is screwed, turning up the fans wouldn't fix it.

I'd suggest giving apple a call, in any case.

3. recoman3 thread starter macrumors member

don't have apple care, and apple tells me that I need to change the logic board..

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

my friend just had his gpu on his 15" mbp die last week. Visited genius and they ordered a new logic board for it. They had to replace it in house because Houston where they usually send them was closed / backed up. He just got it back and now it does not boot most of the time and when it does he gets a kernel panic within 3 minutes.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

Did they give you a price. You may want to ask if this is because of the nivida defect and see how far you can go.
    Good Luck

6. recoman3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah $1900 +150 (last option) - I might as well buy a new laptop see..
    Or I could buy one online for a lot cheaper I presume and try to fix it that way (second to last option). I think I will be pushing it more on the Nvidia defect lines..

My colleague told me I can try to firewire my comp to another to get my data (hold down T while turning on), other tips like this are appreciated.

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah...i would raise hell about the graphics defect and don't let up. they will not want to fix it for free, but push the issue. absolutely no reason a major component should go belly up after a year or so. be determined and it'll pay off.