MBP GPU Memory Bus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Standard, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Standard macrumors regular

- http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=260403

Been reading on multiple forums constantly, hopefully you guise can help me with this. Below are the current MBP 15.4" models:

MBP

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB memory
    * 200GB hard drive1
    * Double-layer SuperDrive
    * NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

Ships: 1-3 business days
    Free Shipping
    $1,899.00

MBP
    * 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB memory
    * 250GB hard drive1
    * Double-layer SuperDrive
    * NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

Ships: 1-3 business days
    Free Shipping
    $2,399.00

When it comes to the performance of these chips, does anyone really know if the 512mb GPU has a > 128-bit memory bus? If the above quote is true, then there is no point in me purchasing the 'greater' MBP, right?? Because then, 256mb of dedicated video memory would be useless correct?

Can anyone shine some light on this thought? Thanks.

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

correct from my understanding.

You do get a bigger hard drive and more L2 cache as well as a slightly faster processor....

but none of those things are worth $500.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

Hmmm... I dunno how accurate this is...

Attached Files:

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My theory on this , which is just a theory and i'm about 99% that its wrong because I cannot find supporting information

anywho

my theory is that the additional 256 megs of vram are usable in scientific visualization when the laptop display and an additional 30" monitor are used.

But then again, i'm not a graphics guru like the guys over at OCForums.

5. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm this? Or am I pretty much set on getting the 256mb model?

6. Yixian macrumors 65816

Correct, Apple uses 128bit chips meaning they're unable to really benefit from 512mb or more.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wanting performance, you'll get more bang for your buck by bumping the RAM to 4GB. Don't buy from Apple, of course, since they charge too much for RAM, but from someone like OWC. You're more likely to notice a difference with more RAM than from a slightly faster processor or more VRAM. Of course, it all depends on what specific applications you plan to run.

8. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

I plan to run all of Adobe's Creative Suit applications, AutoDesk software such as Maya and 3ds Max, Luxology Modo and some new games in BootCamp like Unreal Tournament 3, WoW, TF2 and Crysis.

Keeping the above in mind, is 4GB RAM sufficient aside from upgrading the processor?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Good god, the data path of the computer is only 128-bit in dual channel mode.

Maybe you shouldn't buy any more memory than Apple installs.

With Snow Leopard and the GPU being able to be used as another computing unit, it is likely that the more memory will actually be a bonus.

---

A 256-bit bus would give it a greater margin over main memory, but it is still local memory to the GPU (aka, less latency for a local request), and likely still clocked faster than main memory.

Though I haven't looked and compare the GB/s of both GPU and CPU in a while.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're running any Adobe suite, I wouldn't consider running anything less than 4GB RAM. Adobe products are resource hogs! Where you may or may not benefit from more VRAM and processor speed is the games, especially on Bootcamp. Someone more qualified can answer that one, since I never play games on a computer.

11. Yixian macrumors 65816

Wait for the new MBPs, there a chance they'll have a 256bit card. In games like Crysis and UTIII this increases performance enormously.

12. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

Are you saying I should invest in the 512mb GPU?

I currently have a first generation MBP, and yes it is very sluggish when working with those Pro Apps!

I plan to purchase late August, maybe even September. I move into my dorm @ university August 27th I believe. I would *like* to move in with a new laptop :D

Can I expect anything before my release date? What's on the plate? Will I be extremely pissed if I get one of the current gens and then something new comes out? Are there any confirmations on what is going to be in these new MBP's? I have looked on the Buyer's Guide and it suggests to buy.

13. Yixian macrumors 65816

Nobody is really sure when it comes to the GPU. The 3800 is small enough but we don't know how much power it consumes - it's very powerful. The 3600 and the 9700M GT are both small and we know their power consumption is low enough, but for a "Pro" laptop they're pretty pathetic, particularly for a 17"er.

Chanes are we'll see the revision before the end of this month I'd say, Apple releases usually 5 weeks after the processor is released, and Centrino 2 has been delayed a total of 5 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got one next tuesday even.

14. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

So I may just be in luck then while I wait another month? Sounds good. If I do miss the boat, do you really think it matters for what I plan to do?

15. Yixian macrumors 65816

For Crysis, yes! Everything else will run pretty smooth on the 8600M GT anyway. But Crysis, and then Far Cry 2, will benefit hugely from a new card, particularly if it's 256bit.

16. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Well Yixian I thank you kind sir. I will end up waiting until late August...if nothing comes out I may just have to purchase for school. I'm hoping something comes out!

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

18. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Crysis is the least of my worries, I just needed to be sure that the current systems can run my Pro Apps efficiently. Being able to play games is a want, and in my case a bonus.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I wasn't referring Crysis; played the beta and didn't like it.

Anyways I was referring to the fact that they don't offer the 17" with the 256MB VRAM and I definitely would have paid less and give up that useless 256MB.