MBP graphics comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wotan31, Jul 27, 2009.

  1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

    Jun 5, 2008
    I have a 15" C2D Macbook Pro. It has the intel T7600 (2.33 Ghz C2D processor with 4 MB of L2 cache), 4 GB of RAM, and the ATI x1600 graphics.

    I'm giving some thought to one of the new 13" MBP's, since now that they have added firewire again on the 13" size, I can actually use it for my purposes.

    My question for the class, is how does the ATI X1600 compare with the Nvidia 9400M for 3D graphics performance? X1600 was a mid-range performer in its time, and the 9400M is in the low-end by today's standards. I have a feeling they're not too far apart performance wise, but I don't want to take a step backwards. Anyone know of any benchmarks comparing the X1600 to 9400M in real-world tasks?? :confused: Also keeping in mind the difference in screen resolution between the two.

    TIA! :)
  2. POX macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2009
    Oporto, Portugal
  3. MRU Suspended


    Aug 23, 2005
    Both much of a muchness overall I would have thought.

    Question i'm wondering is why change ? The 13" isn't that much smaller than your current 15", and performance wise - likewise - and you already have a higher res screen ?
  4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Jun 21, 2006
    They're very close performance-wise. I wouldn't bother upgrading just yet. If you have the itch for a new laptop, I would wait this generation out. There really is very little incentive in upgrading right now, unless you need to address >3GB of RAM or need the slight reduction in size that the 13" model offers. I used to have the exact same model MBP that you are using right now, and personally, I found it to be an excellent machine, and I actually found it to be more enjoyable to use day-to-day.
  5. theclipper macrumors newbie

    Jul 26, 2009
    You say that this generation may be worth passing up. Is there supposed to be big changes to the next batch to make it worthwhile? I only ask because I am thinking of getting a 13" MBP right now. I have a perfectly fine desktop, so I can definitely wait if need be.
  6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Jun 21, 2006
    No one knows what the next generation will bring. I based my recommendation on the fact that his current computer and the 13" MBP are very close in graphics power. The CPU is somewhat faster on the new one; even the 2.26GHz model is faster due to its newer architecture, but I don't see it being worth the upgrade. A refurbished 15" with a dedicated GPU may even be a better deal for the money, but if he has no problems with his current laptop, I would recommend waiting for another refresh, with perhaps better graphics chips in the models with integrated graphics only.

    Since you are coming from a desktop, it's a different situation entirely. If you feel the need to purchase a MBP now, then by all means, do so. However, there is always something better around the corner so it makes no sense to wait if you need to purchase a laptop now, or if you are a student who can take advantage of the iPod offer.
  7. lazydesi macrumors 6502

    Oct 30, 2006
    Gr8 Adelaide
    if you have no problem with your current MBP, stay with it.

    Next revision will be interesting with Arrandale, USB 3, Bluetooth V3, and cheap SSD.

Share This Page