MBP: green light for mStand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kha0s, May 23, 2010.

1. kha0s macrumors member

kha0s

Thou shalt not be slouching! Unfortunately my neck will never get back the last 3 "MBP slouching" years. The good news is that I'm now committed to change that. That's were my recent research on laptop stands comes in. After a going through a marathon of reviews and posts, one product "elevated" (pun intended) above all others: mStand. My only really gripe with it was the inability to fit a DVI/VGA cable through the "cable management hole" in the back. Accordingly to this review, even that has been addressed! I actually found this graphical review that apparently confirms mStand's cooling capabilities.
    I'm only considering two other alternative stands at this point: Xtand Pro and Griffin Elevator. Accordingly to this detailed video review on YouTube the first has some stability issues, while the second has a well documented track record for letting your laptop slip into the ground.
    There's very little doubt on my mind about going with the mStand. Just wanted some positive reinforcement before taking the plunge.
    So, do I get your green light?

Thanks

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

mStand is apparently very famous. The ergonomic problem I have with the mStand is that it compels you to put the notebook at a single, elevated, unmovable position. I want my external display and laptop display to stand head to head.

Additionally, if you're worried about cooling, have a quick look at the Macally Ecofan stand before committing to purchase.

It has two built in fans (invisible ofcourse when the notebook is on it), three different elevation settings and natural cable management. Best of all, its made of real bamboo, very strong and looks awesome. I have been using it for over 6 months now and I couldn't be happier with any other stand. :)

[​IMG]

3. kha0s thread starter macrumors member

kha0s

Got my mStand a couple weeks ago. It has dramatically improved my posture, allowing for long, neck-pain free, and all around comfortable working sessions. It also looks dazzling from every angle. Sometimes it feels like my MBP is floating in mid air. This is particularly true in "closed clamshell" mode. Can't think of a better piece of "Apple-like" designer art for the desktop.

When unpacking it for the first time, I immediately grabbed my DVI cable a got the firsthand confirmation on what other reviewers had already reported: the new 2010 mStand models have a considerably wider cable management hole that allows one to pass any DVI/VGA cable through it. The extra "desktop real estate" mStand provides is also worth mentioning. Although I haven't "case-control" tested it's heat dissipation capabilities, it does seem that the fans are kicking-in in less often than before.

My only gripe with it has to do with the viewing angle. The thing is unlike the new unibody models, my "pre-2008 MBP" has a fairly small screen "backward-tilt" angle. Being myself a tall guy, I'm forced to look at the screen in a slightly downward fashion. This causes the viewing angle to be less than ideal. Nonetheless, when you think about it, this is a problem with "pre-2008 MBPs", not with mStand.

That said, this is, by a clear mile, the best stand for the MacBook/MBP line you'll find. Highly recommend it!

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have an Mstand and it is the best stand I've ever owned! It elevates your macbook pro perfectly to eye level and instantly becomes an apple cinema display!

Anyway dont worry about the dvi (head) not fitting in that round hole from the back because you can just tuck it underneath the neck portion of the mstand. Everything else will fit through the hole though and it looks very clean.

5. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

I also have an mStand.

My MBP on the mStand paired with my ACD (could be any external monitor) is a perfect combo!

Buy it!

6. Sylphadora macrumors member

I want to get a stand and I'm doing my research. I'm very tempted by the mStand, but I have a big gripe with it. It seems that it's intended to be used with a separate keyboard, and I really don't want to get a keyboard...

Is it comfortable to use the mStand while typing on your laptop's keyboard? It seems to me it's not possible. In that case I think I'll be better off with the Just Mobile's Xtand Pro, because the height is adaptable and the low tilt allows you to use your laptop's keyboard.

7. -MRB macrumors 6502

I got a Griffin Elevator yesterday for my 17"MBP

I have 100% confidence that my laptop will NOT slip. I originally had the feet that stop it falling off but took them off as I don't actually need them.

I tried to move the laptop whilst on the stand and it doesn't slip at all. I was looking at the mStand too but I couldn't justify the price difference.

Each has their trade offs I guess.

mStand looks good & has better cable management (sorta)
    Elevator has better cooling as it doesn't cover the underside of the laptop.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Mstands for all my MBP`s nothing else comes close to the ergonomics (for me) and passive cooling

9. -MRB macrumors 6502

One could argue the Elevator has far better passive cooling.

However in the real world there's probably bugger all difference :p

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The aluminium fabrication helps to wick away heat from the base of the portable mac`s, as for real world figures your spot on, so insignificant it`s not worth being concerned with :p in practicality i find the Mstand the more stable.

Combine the Mstand and a Moshi Zefyr 2 and you have a working solution, and it keeps the Mac`s away from the beer :p

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I also have an mStand but it's been sitting in the box for a while. Can't wait to get my MBP for it soon!

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

How about this solution: Keep the beer away from the Mac? ;)

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Back to the Mstand :p

14. Newfiebill macrumors regular

Newfiebill

Good Choice

You can't go wrong with mStand. I've had mine for 2 months now, it is beautiful and works perfect.

15. -MRB macrumors 6502

Aluminium fabrication lol :p Having nothing there beats having a plate of aluminium with a pocket of air creating a layer of insulation :p

Either stand is great. Depends if you need to type using the MBP keyboard or not. If you do - mStand. If not - Elevator :)

16. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

mStand works great!!

Attached Files:

17. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I've been eying the Rain Design mStand for my MacBook Pro Retina. (If it ever ships and gets here)

I got 2 questions though...

1) can I place my Apple USB SuperDrive (still in box waiting for the computer) underneath it?

2) can I use the computer's keyboard vs a Apple Wireless KeyBoard & Apple Magic Trackpad?