MBP had a significant drop in battery life after Migrant Assistant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivan_x3000, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ivan_x3000 macrumors newbie

ivan_x3000

Hi i think the macbook pro is meant to have a theoretical battery life of 10 hours. When i bought it last week on wednesday, at 60% it had 6 hours. This was the last time i checked. I know that that theoretical battery life is not supposed to be actual battery life but i'd expect it be close by an hour or two on week one. I originally had a macbook air 2012, i backed this up on time machine and used migration assistant on my macbook pro. I charged it up and checked the battery estimate, the max i could get it up to with nothing running and minimum battery was 5 or 6 hours at 100% battery.

I know i sound like i'm being nit picky but but i had a look online and saw an occasion where someone noticed the same thing then reseted to factory settings and re-installed everything and afterwards was able to get 100%. So i'm suspecting driver failure due to migration assistant.

Is there a way to use migration assistant and not have this happen? I really want to have it to preserve all of my setting and most importantly my applications.

--> MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 13"

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you have just migrated everything over then spotlight will be indexing everything transfered, depending on how much stuff you have moved to the machine it could take many hours to spotlight index it all, during this time you will get a drop in both performance and battery life. You can use activity monitor to check what is using battery on your system.

One other thing to note is that at 100% brightness you will rarely get more than 6 hours.... the up to ten hours quoted by apple is under very specific circumstances all quoted quite clearly on apples website and that includes brightness at 75%, also chrome is terrible for battery life in OSX so avoid that as well.

3. ivan_x3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

ivan_x3000

I think i figure it out. For reasons i don't understand using migration assistant without deleting the original account int he process stops the glitch. Consequently i also had to deleting everything and re-install yosemite which took around 3 to 4 hours.