Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Had tea split over the keyboard; however it works fine except for two issues.

1. The computer thinks the shift key is pressed and starts osx in safe mode and anything you type is in shift mode, i.e. capitals and !"£$%^ instead of 12345 etc, but the strange thing is Ubuntu ignores this, so the left shift key doesn't work but the rest does and you can type normally.

2. When the computer goes to sleep either in OSX or Ubuntu it does not wake up whatever key/touch pad you press - however if you do press the power button for a few seconds it powers off, and when you turn it back on OSX starts after a sort of recovery back to the desktop, however Ubuntu doesn't.

Also after the spill it wasn't turned on for more than a day and was left to dry upside down.

Any ideas what to do next - especially regarding the shift key issue?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
sounds like the stuff under that key is all gunked up. clean it out and see what you can. tho i don't know how deep the damage is as far as the mobo goes. i would check that out and maybe use some rubbing alcohol and clean off the mobo and see what it does. TAKE ALL THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. idk how well my advice will work as i don't know how bad the damage is. perform these feats at your own risk.

Makie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I took out the key and had a look but can't see anything from top that looks sticky and also the keypress is normal.

But the strange thing is, after taking out the back plate and trying to remove the keyboard ribbon connector from the motherboard, I broke a tiny bit off (the plastic top bit) accidentally and after that the left shift key worked again, however after the computer was on running a flash video in full screen for a couple of hours a few days later the issue has re-appeared again after plugging in a power adapter from another mbp - not sure though what caused the issue to re-appear.

Regarding cleaning it with alcohol, I'll give it a go and see what happens, but removing the motherboard completely seems a bit of a tricky business.

Last edited:

Makie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Cleaned the underside of the motherboard with Isopropyl alcohol and after that the shift key started working properly (looked like there was some blue looking mold like stuff on the keyboard connector).

The only issue now is that the machine goes to sleep and wakes up with a few clicks on the touchpad, however if the lid is closed it does not wake up at all (the indicator light just pulsates) and the only way to get it back up is to power it on and off again.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.