MBP Hand Rests

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BioChron, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

Curious, does anyone have a problem with the hand rest of their MacBook Pro getting shiny or oil spots? I am planning on buying a MacBook Pro, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to invest in wristguards or not.

Thanks!

- Daniel

2. lunalover macrumors newbie

hand rests

I have never had a problem with my mbps hand rests staining or discoloring. Its made from aluminum so it will probably never happen.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

yes...my dads has those marks after about 9months of use. its annoying

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Yeah, they stay nice, not shiny. My track pad is a little bit shiny, but that's painted, not aluminum.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, this has been an issue for years, ever since the form factor was introduced with the PowerBook. Apple replaced my top case (without me having to request it) while it was for servicing on another issue, but the new one is also started showing minor pitting after about nine months of use.

If you mind eventually getting a bunch of black spots on your wristrests, you should probably look into a guard of some sort.

6. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

No problem with my PB, bought Apr '04. Use it 8 - 10 hours a day, seldom clean it :eek:.

7. 707Gnome macrumors newbie

didnt want to find out for myself, so i bought one of these.

http://www.aevoe.com/moshi/palmguard.htm

looks like.....well it doesnt look like anything, blends in with the mbp's exterior very well, the silver aluminum. and certainly unobtrusive when compared to marware's palmguard.

a good buy in my mind.

8. 707Gnome macrumors newbie

as requested:

my only qualm, the packaging it came in, the brackets that held each individual piece inside the package, especially for the touchpad button piece, left marks (semi-circular). minor or major issue, you decide :)

and i bent the tip of the palm guard piece while applying it, thus, the whiter color to the bottom right corner (close to where it says Moshi)

Attached Files:

9. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

They happen, and I had them happen on my PBG4 of the same material about a year into use or less

10. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I have some very light pitting after 8 months. I picked up a Marware hand rest protector kit for 19$. Very nice,.. when removed it leaves no residue.

11. GeorgeD macrumors member

yeah, it is an issue. My cousins MBP has black marks and a bunch of black dots around the hand rest area after a year and a half or so...

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I had a PB 12-inch for over two years, never had those problems, but I always used a external keyboard at home. My MBP is still only a month old, so no issues yet :D

13. hajime macrumors 68040

I am using Micro Solution's wrist film #02 and Track Pad Slick Film #02.
    They are quite good. http://www.micro-solution.com/
    Besides the hand rests, where else will have problems after few months of use?

14. n8236 macrumors 65816

I have used Apple Peelz on my MBP Core Duo for the past 1.5 years and it has held up well. But there are areas where the dirt and oils have worked its way into the film itself, producing a yellowish hue in the areas used most.

Protection wise it has done its job well and has protected my laptop overall. Recently I started playing a lot of games and the hard drive gets really hot. The film has not helped alleviate that heat. So I placed my iPhone cleaning cloth over that area. Not only did it feel good, it protected my palm from that extra heat the hard drive produced.

That's when Marware came back into my mind. I think I will be removing my clear film and use one of those from macStyles because it looks cool and functional in one.

15. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

MacStyles customer service is terrible

Anyone ordered from MacStyles before? I've read several comments that they're slow to ship and never respond to email. I sent them an email over a week ago and haven't heard anything back so am suspicious.

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have used macstyles may times and always get them in a little over a week. Email they never respond to0

Attached Files: