MBP hanging problem since Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fikkser, Dec 29, 2014.

1. fikkser macrumors member

Hello!

My late 2008 15" unibody macbook pro has got some issues since I upgraded to Yosemite. It's a standard 2,4 ghz unibody with 4gb ram and a 120gb ssd. Been running it with the discrete GPU.

Since I installed Yosemite I started to get these hangs. The computer hangs for 27 seconds at random times. For example yesterday I was watching a movie and it hung twice, counted to 27 both times - started playing the movie normally afterwards.

When programming Java in NetBeans the program reported the computer hung and NetBeans told me the computer was unresponsive for 27 seconds etc.

When it happens the spinning ball comes up and spins until the hang ends - sometimes it freezes too.

Also had other minor hangs (up to 10 secs) when tabbing in to safari etc.

Anyone got a clue - or know where to start looking? :)

2. Bheleu macrumors 6502

When was the last time you cleaned it?

I would take the bottom off and clean any excess dust off the fans (vaccum cleaner) just in case this is a heat related issue and not software. Just a suggestion, maybe someone has a better solution.

3. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, will do that. Don't think it will help because I've played Starcraft without issues and that should push the temps.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Do a back up then do a clean install

There have been a more than the usual amount of problems with this OS update almost all of them seem to be fixed by a clean install.

Also check and make sure any 3rd party apps you need are still compatable or update them if they have a yosemite update...

5. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks. Might give that a try.

Is there anyway of checking what programs causing the hangs? in the Activity Monitor I once saw that a program caused hangs - is there any log file or something? :)

Probably time for a clean install...

6. fikkser, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

fikkser thread starter macrumors member

7. aquilc macrumors member

Check if you enabled FileVault.

My New MacBook Pro wasn't switching off, just the screen turned black, with the keyboard backlight on.

I read that in some cases FileVault was also making MacBooks slow especially those which had a Hard Drive instead of as an SSD.

Also it is suggested that one way of improving performance on a MAC with Yosemite installed is turning of FileVault.

----------

Turn off FileVault if it is switched on.
    Also check how much free space is available on the SSD. Once the SSD is reaching its size capacity, it becomes really slow. Also happens on Windows notebooks.