MBP Hanging when trying to install fresh OS X.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeSantor, Nov 16, 2009.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So to make a long story short Just traded my buddy my blackbook and some cash for this 09 uMBP. I ordered an Intel SSD for it that is supposed to be here Wednesday. I figured while i was waiting i could install a fresh copy of OS X on it and get it set up just how I wanted it then use CCC to image it. That way Wednesday when the SSD gets here I can just pop it in and use the image from CCC to load everything up and I would be set.

When I throw the OS X DVD in and click the first icon to install OS it says you have to restart. I click yes and it does. the screen with the apple and the little swirly status icon shows up and both the DVD drive and hard drive are spinning. it hangs here for about a minute and a half to 2 minutes. Then the DVD drive and HDD stop spinning and the screen goes black. like it is going to sleep. You hit the space bar or keyboard and then the HDD and DVD drive start spinning again like it is going to boot up but the screen stays black. both HDD and DVD drive continiue to spin for about 30 seconds then stop. Still all black screen.

durring this time everything is locked up. you cant get the DVD to eject, nothing. You have to hold the power button for a solid minute or 2 and it finally reboots (not a shut down but a reboot).

As soon as it reboots if you leave the DVD in it does the exact same thing as above. Apple logo for about 2 minutes then black screen. If you hit the Eject button IMMEDIATELY as the apple logo comes on it will eject the OS X DVD and boot normally. I have done it about 6 times now and it just keeps haning if the DVD is in the drive.

Any Ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

To eject a disc during startup hold the mouse button.

3. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

I was trying to remember what it was.

Well it still has applecare for another 6 months so I just made an app with the Genius bar. I figured I should take advantage of the fact that the apple store is a mile from my house. Ill let anyone interested know what they say.

4. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

So I go into the GB and i tell him the problem. I grab my 10.5.6 disk and go to show him and he says something along the lines of:

"I can tell you whats wrong without you showing me. The reason its hanging is the new MBP has a little different architecture then previous models and it needs 10.5.8 or SL...."

I let him know that i purchased SL and took it off because it was acting really weird.

Not sure what to do now. My SSD comes in 2 days and its looking like i will HAVE to run snow leopard...

5. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Ok So i nut up and installed SL. But it kept all the files by buddy had on here that I want to get off. He has a bunch of **** on here thus the reason I wanted to start from scratch with an OS.

SL never gave me the option to do a complete fresh install. it just updated the 10.5.8 that was on here.

Im assuming you would go to disk utility then erase but when I do that, Click the one and only partition you are prompted to put in the name and format. Neither of them are high lighted so you cant switch them. What am I doing wrong? How do I partition and get 10.6 on here fresh?

Im glad i made the switch from a PC but relearning everything I was taught in college sucks...

Any input is much appreciated.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I dont have my copy of SL with me, but i think if you even have the machine on and put the disc in you can select Customize and do a custom installation that erases the entire drive?
    Otherwise you can for sure boot with the disc installed and erase the current drive. then do a blank install over it.

Did the MBP come with the Restore disks or are you using a Stand alone retail copy of OS X Leopard?
    youre best bet might be to get a copy of OSX 10.5.6 i think that might be or 10.5.8 is the latest Retail copy of OS X Leopard.