MBP hangs (at finder?) on startup - please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vjmeno, Mar 22, 2008.

1. vjmeno macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my mbp, running tiger 10.4.

I had a crash that i had to force shutdown from, and now it wont restart properly. it gets as far as showing my desktop background image and the finder icon in the top right tand thats as far as it gets. i tried leaving if for almosyt an hour with no luck.

I can start in safe mode but i dont know what to do once im there. i ran techtool deluxe but it didnt find anything wrong.

Whats the next step, please??

Many thanks,
    meno

2. vjmeno thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so ive done a little more searchin on the subject,and it seems there's a few recommendations on other sites for people in this situation to delete the com.apple.splight.plist file from preferences. though this seems a bit drastic... is this what i should be doing? or is there somehting safer i can do in safe mode?

3. Pickoff macrumors member

I Had a similar problem on a much older computer.... if you can see the AirPort icon, turn AirPort off. That helped, then when Finder loads restart AirPort.

4. vjmeno thread starter macrumors newbie

No, all i can see is the little finder magnifying lass in the top right, nothing else. assume there's either something wrong with finder or whatever is next to be loaded up.

ps, i jjust checked in safe mode for that com.apple.splight.plist file that i saw some people suggested to delete and its not even there. :confused:

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Maybe try booting of the tiger disk and repair the drive and permissions.

6. vjmeno thread starter macrumors newbie

i've sorted it now, thanks. There was a problem with my fonts. All back up and running!!