MBP Hard Case or Sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoGamecocks, Jul 18, 2011.

1. GoGamecocks macrumors member

Hey guys, I just ordered my first Mac! My Dell lasted me 5 years, but it is time to move on.

Looking at getting a case or sleeve to protect the laptop from scratches and maybe minor dents. I have a laptop bag already, and plan on carry the MBP in the laptop bag or my backpack. Trying to decide on what is the best protection for scratches, and only looking at buying either sleeve or hard case. Would do y'all recommend?

Thank you for any helpful comments, and I can't wait to receive my computer in the mail!!

2. DropKick macrumors member

3. Ephmreal macrumors newbie

Sleeve

I just got the sleeve... maybe its because I got a MBP new and still like the shiny shiny :D but I always think the hard case is more for if i were to be throwing the thing around. Personally, for me, the most physical risk my MBP will be in is just when I have it in my bag or if its lying around, its more likely someone will drop sumthin on it that will simply scratch or dent...

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I have a Speck case on mine. When I travel, I also put it in a sleeve.

5. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

If you want either/or, you need a sleeve. The hard case will not stop things from banging around in your backpack and possibly getting in your ports. I learned this the hard way as I had a paperclip get lodged in the optical drive slot on my last laptop. Was not fun!

I have the Incase Protective Sleeve Deluxe. Provides more protection than the neoprene sleeves that are all over the place plus it looks good. If I ever decide to put a hard case on my MBP, it will still fit inside this particular sleeve. The Incase is very well padded, has a small accessory pocket on the outside, and has protection on the inside from the zipper so it doesn't scratch the aluminum casing. I've had several different sleeves on various laptops and this is my favorite to date.

6. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

is there a one that does not open all the way i like the case but i would like two straps for carying it and one that does not open all the way???

7. GoGamecocks thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your post; I guess I will purchase a sleeve instead of a hard case then. I do like the look of your Incase sleeve. Do you recommend buying it from Incase directly, or do they sell it at Best Buy or another location?

8. fingerman macrumors member

Another user of a Clear Speck Case - protects it well as the case is really scratched, thank got it's not on the MBP :eek:

9. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I go the deluxe sleeve at Apple Store. They have a very limited selection of cases and sleeves at my local Best Buy and did not have this particular incase, only the neoprene ones. It might also be available through Amazon.
    Good luck with your new computer, you're going to love it!

10. shot2bits macrumors member

I keep hearing that the Speck hard case causes scratches. Does anybody have experience of using the Speck for a long period of time? My previous MacBook Pro 13" got quite a few scratches on the bottom case so am looking to avoid them.. Got to say, I really looked after my previous 13", they really attract the scratches.