MBP Hard Drive and Backup Strategy Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evanb, Feb 25, 2008.

1. evanb macrumors newbie

I need some help with a hard drive strategy.

I have a MBP SR 2.2 with the 120 GB internal. I use leopard, and time machine is working wonderfully. But I need more. The original plan was to spring for Super Duper and two 120 GB portable external drives to do a rotation of clone drives. The idea being keep one at home, keep one at a friend's house, back up once a week and switch drives.

Here's the hitch: I only about 20 GB free on the MBP drive (do mostly to a media library that keeps increasing). The way I see it I have two good options:

1) Proceed as planned above with the two external hds and super duper, and transfer some of my lesser played music, pictures and comic books to a third harddrive.; or

2) Buy an internal HD (maybe 250GB) for the MBP. Then get two 250 portables and do my rotating backup plan. My big concern here is that I will void my Apple Care by replacing the HD.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to what is the best move here, maybe even a third option. Thanks.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im in your boat with my macbook. i have an external but i only have about 30 gig left on my internal. if i were you i would get both an internal and one external. you can partition the internal for tm and do your thing with the other as you please

3. evansb macrumors newbie

The big issue that I am having with the internal is the warranty issue. Will putting in a new drive kill the warranty? The research I have done on the issue in these forums seems uncertain.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not unless you screw something up