MBP Hard drive bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Angler2184, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Angler2184 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a MBP that has run fine up until a few weeks ago. I had updated the os x with mavericks. I started having issues with the spinning beach ball when i tried to do just about anything. Then the boot time last anywhere from 5-10minutes. It got to the point where I could not do anything without it freezing up. I was able to backup all my data on a external hard drive. I then erased the drive and tried to revert back to the original OS Mountain Lion. When I go to install Mountain Lion is telling me 4 + hrs to install and freezes up. Could this mean the hard drive is done? Any other steps that I should take? Thanks for the help

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

It does sound like the hard drive is crapped. Replacing it (with the right tools - Phillips #00 and Torx #8) takes maybe 5 minutes.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah I'm with BP.... sounds like your HDD took a dirt nap.

4. Angler2184 thread starter macrumors newbie

What would b a good one to upgrade to? I have the standard 750gb hdd right now....

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is really not all that much difference among them. This one would do the trick for you.

6. Angler2184 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... if you have the money an SSD is a nice upgrade. I think the Samsung EVO and the Crucial MX100 are about the best for price/performance with now. SSDs are quite a bit more money if you need a large one though.

8. Angler2184 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes. Both of the suggested SSDs are a direct drop in replacement for your MBP.

10. Angler2184 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered the 512gb crucial ssd. I was able to copy some of my personal files to an external drive. Any thing that I should be aware of when installing the new drive? Will I be able to use the mac Internet recovery to revert back to the original os that was installed on the computer ? Thanks

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your Mac is on this list, you can use Internet recovery. Otherwise you will need to manually install the OS from a DVD or USB key.

Otherwise, just install the drive then install the OS and all your app and copy over your data. Do you have a back of any sort you could use to clone over from?

12. Angler2184 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe my MBP is on that list. I was trying to use the internet recovery when I was troubleshooting the bad hard drive. The only thing I was able to back up was the user folders to a external hard drive.

13. Angler2184 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I installed the SSD. I press the option key on startup to get to the internet recovery menu. It gives me the option to Reinstall OX S. When the mountain lion install ask what disk i want to install OS X on, the SSD does not show up. Not sure where to go from here....Thanks for the help

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you at this screen?

[​IMG]

If you are, start Disk Utility from there and go to the erase tab then select the new drive in the column on the left. Then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the drop down list then apply the settings. That will format the new disk properly.

Now quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS and you will be all set. This is going to install the OS version that came from the factory. If you want to update to Mavericks you will need to then go to the App Store and redownload then install Mavericks.