MBP Hard Drive Class 101 (and RAM)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krusnof, Nov 30, 2007.

1. krusnof macrumors newbie

Hey all,

This is my first post, so be gentle!

I just bought a MBP 2.2GHz and loving it although I want to upgrade RAM AND HDD. In Denmark (where I am from obviously) I cannot find the right Crucial RAM, but we do have the Kingston, even they are slightly more risci to purchase. If any suggestions etc. please let me know.

However, back to the real question (and sorry for the RAM detour):
    I have 120GB HDD in my MBP and of course want at least 200GB perhaps 250GB, but am not sure which HDD to buy. I heard that Samsung Spinpoint are very quiet and low on temperature, but have some compatible issues with MAC! True or false!? Neither way which specific HD do you recommend to buy and will it violate the warranty to change it yourself!? (Installing RAM does not break the warranty right?) Furthermore, when I put the new HDD in the my MBP how does it work? Do I have to format it prior to installment, an in that case how do I attach it to my current setup?

I hope that you can and will help me in the pursuit of increasing my RAM to 4GB and HDD to at least 200GB.

Thank you in advance.

Kristian

2. 119576 Guest

Kingston RAM is fine.

The HDD in the MBP is non-user serviceable. So you will void your warranty if you do replace it yourself.

You'd probably be better off getting an external hard disk instead.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This is not true and I am getting pretty tired of correcting people on this issue. Warranty is only void if you damage the computer by taking it apart. What Apple doesn't know Apple won't feel sorry for.

And of course the Apple warranty doesn't cover a new HD.

5. 119576 Guest

I stand corrected. But still, there's no need to get uptight about it.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Sorry. My frustration is grounded in a combination of scouring the forums and seeing that statement splattered all over the place and people's use of it as an absolute certainty :eek: