Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtallguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
About every other day now my laptop will lock up with the pinwheel and the hard drive will have this loud clicking noise, I was able to film it this time it happened. It usually lasts for about a minute, then goes away for about 5 minutes and comes back and it will keep happening until i shut off my computer and turn it back on. Anyone have ideas? I believe my hd is failing, it is not the factory hd. It is a replacement 500GB one. Please help if anyone knows anything!

Here is a link to a video that i took of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCJWmKrO6rg

Also here is a picture of my boot up screen about a week and a half ago when all of this started getting to be almost a daily thing. Don't know what caused that boot up screen also.
IMG_0018.JPG

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
About every other day now my laptop will lock up with the pinwheel and the hard drive will have this loud clicking noise, I was able to film it this time it happened. It usually lasts for about a minute, then goes away for about 5 minutes and comes back and it will keep happening until i shut off my computer and turn it back on. Anyone have ideas? I believe my hd is failing, it is not the factory hd. It is a replacement 500GB one. Please help if anyone knows anything!

Here is a link to a video that i took of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCJWmKrO6rg

Also here is a picture of my boot up screen about a week and a half ago when all of this started getting to be almost a daily thing. Don't know what caused that boot up screen also.

I had the same problem and I just ended up putting the drive back in the MacBook. Two theories. Either the drive Apple sells us is propriety(which i don't think) or the sudden motion sensor stuff is messing with your heads. I was getting the beachball thing when the macBook was just sitting around, so It's not the SMS(which you can disable if you wanna google it).

But the drive clicking...that's a a pretty positive drive failure issue.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah you're drive is about to eat it. Back up your data and find a new one.

bigtallguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
...I was getting the beachball thing when the macBook was just sitting around, so It's not the SMS(which you can disable if you wanna google it)...

Yeah, I tried that a couple days ago, no help. I think my drive is just about to crap out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.