MBP hard drive needs to be repaired after a while of use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, May 27, 2010.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

So I have a Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM drive in my MBP, and it's lovely. However, it seems that every 3-4 weeks, when I run dis utility and verify disk, it says that I have to restart with the OS X disk in there and repair the disk. What happens during this time when a repair is needed is that the drive starts to make a bit of noise (like the head is parking.)

What I believe is happening is that the sudden motion sensor does not work right, because when I move the laptop, the head doesn't park. Is this because I disabled power management on the drives firmware through Hitachi tools? I didn't think power management had anything to do with the sudden motion sensor.

After I repair the drive, that "park" noise goes away. I don't think the drive is damaged because everything works smoothly.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hehe, the smilie seems to suggest sarcasm...but I may be wrong.

How come it needs to be repaired so often and the heads don't park? My stock drive (5400RPM) used to park the head when I would move it slightly.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nope. No sarcasm :D

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Has the memory (RAM) in your computer been upgraded?

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No, it's stock 4GB.

It's a late 2008 Unibody MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM.

The logic board has been replaced, though. But it did this even prior to the logic board replacement.

8. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Very odd.

It might be best to leave the issue as it is. Determining the cause would require time-consuming diagnostic tests.

Of course, always keep a back up of your files.

Is your computer covered by warranty? If so, i can see the urgency in trying to discover the cause of the problem.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks for the reply, fluffy.

Yeah, I keep a time machine backup of it once a week, so....

It is still under Apple Care until late 2011.

I wonder why the head doesn't park though? I was thinking that during moving of the laptop, files get corrupted because SMS is not working for some reason? I checked through the terminal and SMS is on. I turned it off, restarted, then turned it on again. Same thing.

Do you think it has something to do with turning off the power management at the firmware level of the drive? I turned it off because it was making a "clicking" noise every 5 seconds. I did the same for a friends drive, and the clicking went away too. Not sure that his files get corrupted after a while, haven't seen him from a while.