MBP hard drive replacement & warranty. Official Apple service?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shreddy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. shreddy macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was wondering if in say 3-6 months there's a 500gb 7200rpm 2.5" drive available at a sensible price is there some way to get this fitted in a recently purchased MBP??

Seen the guide on iFixit.com. A little fiddly but not impossible... BUT doing this myself would obviously totally void the warranty, right? And trash the expensive Applecare? :p

So, is this something Apple would do in store for a price? Heavy price I guess. Would be nice if they'd clone the contents of the old drive onto the new one...

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

the issue about voiding your warranty when replacing the internal HD has been dealed with to death on the forum. basically it seems Apple will say one thing and the opposite so there is no real answer i decide to go for it and changed my MBPro's HD, my machine is still for a few days under its 1 year period and i just bought applecare for it. i'm quite confident Apple cover any damage that is not related to the HD.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I don't think they do upgrades in the store-- at least, that is what they said when I inquired about my MacBook:p

4. shreddy thread starter macrumors regular

Sure once the machine has been taken apart they have the perfect excuse to get out of anything, no?

"Sorry sir, you damaged it."

Guess I'll have to study the warranty & Applecare small print if I want to do this at some point.

5. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If you do the job right they will never know it was opened. :D

6. shreddy thread starter macrumors regular

I think the giveaway would be the fact they sold you a machine with say a 250gb disk in it but now you magically have 500gb! :)

7. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

What I do, any time that I modify a laptop (upgrading RAM, replacing hard disk, etc) is keep the original parts -- if something goes wrong, it's just a matter of putting them back. Make sure not to make any tool marks with a screwdriver, which is the number 1 sign that you've been tinkering.

8. uluruman macrumors newbie

hi all.

like icefusion said, i also kept the original hd when upgrading it on my own. if there should be a problem with my mbp i´ll swap it again.