MBP hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rdrnatn24, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Rdrnatn24 macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2.16 ghz with a 120 gb hard drive. I have been using this external hard drive to store and playback video files:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tech&lp=12&type=product&cp=1&id=1198286609141
    I also have a 120 gb external hard drive as a time machine backup. Would it be possible to replace my hard drive with the 320 gb external, then restore everything on my original using the time machine backup? Im not worried about opening up my machine, but I'm not too familiar with how time machine works for restores. Thanks for the help.

2. n8236 macrumors 65816

3. n8236 macrumors 65816

When I tried out CCC, it didn't allow for a boot-able partition. SuperDuper allows you to literally boot up the backup copy.:apple:

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes you can. I have done so a number of times.

You should first format the 320GB drive and make sure the Partition map is set to GUID, otherwise it will not be bootable.

Once you install it in your MBP, you will need the Leopard DVD (the one that you bought or came with your Mac - Disc1) to boot from. Also have your TM drive connected.

Once you see the installer, check English and stop there.

Go to the Utilities Menu and select TM restore...

That's it.

5. Rdrnatn24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Followed this guide and used super duper. Everything worked great and was pretty easy... Thanks a lot for the help.

6. acrahm macrumors regular

what if my external is now by bootable drive and my internal drive is not booting?

will superduper still do what i need?

7. n8236 macrumors 65816

Absolutely.

1. Boot up your laptop holding the alt/option key
    2. Select your external (boot-able drive) and boot off of it
    3. Use SuperDuper clone your ext. to your internal (NOTE: Make sure your source and destination drives are correct). Your Source drive is the one you want to copy FROM. And your Destination drive is the one you want to copy TO. So in your case: Source is external, destination is internal.

8. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I swapped the drives of two MBPs the day before yesterday.
    One went fine, the other didn't. You might want to read my post to be aware of what might happen. :)

9. n8236 macrumors 65816

Dave, I'm guessing u ran into permissions problems because the way CCC works. I don't know the exact details (as I read it in an article), but CCC does not make exact identical copies like SuperDuper does, thus leaving out permissions and relationships.

It's like trying to copy files from one ntfs partition to another using the xcopy of copy command, you'll lose permissions and such.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes use Time Machine. It will take a bit longer than just cloning, but the new drive will be defragged.