MBP Harddrive replacement help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asamalikum, Jun 11, 2009.

1. asamalikum macrumors newbie

one question guys, i bought a new 13" mbp yesterday which comes with 120g and 2g ram and the first thing i do is to charge it overnight before first time using it. On the other hand, I also bought a new 7200 rpm 500g hdd. Can i switch it right away after the battery is fully charged or i have to switch the comp. on and go through all the registration first?

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

You don't have to turn it on first, however I would recommend it just to make sure all of the hardware is fully working. Once you have used it for a little while and made sure nothing is wrong, you can shut it down, replace the hard drive and proceed to re-install Leopard.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

It really doesn't matter. The thing has to be off to change the HD out, and all your stuff will be gone anyway and you will have to reinstall from the restore media, so don't bother going through setup.

Why not buy a larger HD to begin with?

4. asamalikum thread starter macrumors newbie

So the registration can be done after installing on the new drive as well right?
    Reason why i don't buy larger HD from apple is because they does not provide 7200rpm drive.