MBP harddrive swap not booting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soms, Jul 11, 2008.

1. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Ok so I figured I would go ahead and upgrade the space on my MBP, so I bought one of those 250gb WD Passport externals.
    -downloaded carbon copy
    -copied my MBP drive to the external
    -opened the MBP up an swapped them

Now when I boot the computer it comes up with a folder with a "?" on it and sits there. If I boot using option or whatever to select the disk it works fine and boots into OSX perfectly and everything works. But now I have to do this everytime I reboot...:rolleyes:

I have the drive named the same as the old one, Macintosh HD. I've tried repairing permissions etc.
    The funny thing is when I go to startup disk in the pref panel it only shows "Networked" drives and not my internal drive (note I have no other drives connected atm). My internal showed up once for a split second and now it won't show up again.

Anyone have thoughts on how to set the new drive to default boot? Is there a terminal command I can use?

2. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

check the partition of the drive you copied to its needs to be GUID when its made or it wont work on an intel machine

3. soms thread starter macrumors 6502

soms

Sorry not sure I follow.:confused:

4. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

boot off the working drive then hook up the drive you want to copy to, then open disk utility its in the utilities folder in applications. when disk utility opens it will give you a list of drives that are hooked up to the machine go to the Hd that you want to copy to and click on the partition tab it will tell you how its currently set up if it does not say guid then you have to repartition it DOING THAT WILL WIPE ALL DATA on that HD once you do that you can run carbon copy cloner again and this tiem you should be able to boot from it

5. soms thread starter macrumors 6502

soms

Ok so I have my now external (original drive from MBP) connected, and I'm in Disk Utility. The now internal drive under partition map has (Master Boot Record) and the old drive has Guid partition table listed.
    So I should click partition on the internal drive and set it for MAC OSX extended journaled? Then boot from the external and run carbon copy or disk util to copy it to the internal?

6. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

the new drive you have in there is formatted for windows
    click on the drive its self then go to partition then select new in that window you will see an option tab go to and select guid then repartition , it will reformat the Hd plus set it up to work on intel units then you can run cloner

7. soms thread starter macrumors 6502

soms

Ahhhh I see. Running carbon copy now and it looks like it will work. I'll edit this once I reboot. Thanks for the help :D

8. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

glad i could help let me know if it doesnt work

9. soms thread starter macrumors 6502

soms