MBP Harddrive upgrade problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moez, Mar 9, 2009.

1. moez macrumors regular

I have recently updated my stock Fujitsu 120GB drive with Seagate 500GB 5400.6 drive (ST9500325AS)

Now, I am having several problems, the first and most bugging is that every other second I see the beach ball. Opening a new finder window, system preferences, just about anything slows the system down to a crawl. Infact, even typing this leads to a pause of 1 second or two.

Second, i have tried using the disk utility to verify the volume. It gives an error before verification is complete. When using the installer disk to repair the disk, it completes successfully but later on when verifying again (even within the same installer disk utility it gives the same error)

So, I was wondering is the error with my hard drive or a faulty installation of OS X. I had upgraded my RAM some time ago to 4GB OWC generic brand. Could the RAM be messing up.

With Fujitsu, I used to have problems watching movies and TV shows (even regular lo-def files) but with this, it is much worse.

Any idea on what to do??

2. evilspoons macrumors member

My new hard drive (ST9500325AS) seems to be doing this too.

I am working on some stuff (iTunes, Firefox, whatever) with my Santa Rosa 2.2 Macbook Pro. I get the beach ball and whatever I'm doing screws up. At this point, listen to the hard disk (put your ear on the wrist rest if you have to). It spins for a while making some normal access noises then eventually spins down and immediately spins up again. When it finishes spinning up, the computer springs back to life.

As per your problems, I did a Disk Utility check and got:
    Code:
    Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid node structure
    Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Did you install a clean copy of OS X? If not, it could be an installation problem.

4. evilspoons macrumors member

I installed a clean copy of OS X and then also performed a PRAM reset due to a sleep issue I was having. I then restored my Time Machine backup onto the drive.

I've noticed this hard disk makes a sort of "chirp-chip" noise intermittently too, it's a bit annoying.