mbp harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bw1128, Dec 9, 2012.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

so i have the first unibody mbp and my harddrive is now constantly getting full. i have to delete videos and music just to fit new on it. what harddrive would you recommend get? i want one that i will never have to worry about again and that is fast but not too expensive.
    thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

What capacity is your current one?

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

What about getting an external HDD for storage and/or BACKUP?

3. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its 250gb. ive thought about the external but my appletv wont see it and i dont want to have to always have the external plugged in.

4. simsaladimbamba

It is probably due to its format.
    You could either get a 750 GB HDD or 1 TB HDD, or go the Optibay route (explained under #4 in the guide I linked to) in combination with an SSD and HDD and use the ODD externally.

5. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

A seagate momentus Xt seems like it would be a great option.

it provide 750Gb of 7200RPM storage AND a SSD on board to cache in your boot files and favorite apps (behind the scenes to you) which will give you a giant performance boast AND all the storage you need.

I had the 500GB version and loved. I since switched to an SSD but I too need more storage so I had to opt for a 500GB SSD from Samsung (for 379).

6. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is the one your referring to correct?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate....p?skuId=4919467&id=1218577510634#tab=reviews

lastly, what about processors? i have the 2.4ghz i believe. i just dont want to have to go buy a new macbook pro if i can speed it up to new for a fraction of the cost as we dont use the macbook that often.
    thanks

7. simsaladimbamba

You can only upgrade RAM and HDD with a MacBook Pro. The rest is not upgradeable.
    You can always look into SSDs to bring some new life into older hardware.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

8. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

If you want to really speed it up, then get a full on SSD. A Crucial M4 is around 350$ for a 512GB drive and it will absolutely fly! OR you could spend a bit more and get the 500GB Samsung 840 SSD. I have both but currently use the samsung.

Certainly the above Momentus XT will give you a noticeable improvement for 150$. Then add in 8GB of Ram and you will feel like you bought a new machine.

So i would say get the SSD and 8gb of ram if you can afford it. And if not then get the Momentus XT. Both will speed up your machine.

My wife had your same exact machine and adding in my old 256GB SSD made it feel much much faster.