MBP hardware test error: 4MOT/1/40000002:LEFT SIDE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesybsu, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jamesybsu macrumors regular

Well my computer will not turn on, but instead a grey screen repeatly shows up saying I must restart. I have formated my computer and reinstalled OSx, still have same problem.

Ran hardware test and an error was found:4MOT/1/40000002:LEFT SIDE

anyone know what this means?

2. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

Failed logic board. The left fans motor won't kick on. Call AppleCare. 1-800-APPL-CARE.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2131905

3. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

would new fan solve it?

Thanks for the replay - I called Apple and after some test the person on the phone said it sounds like the logic board needs to be replaced. Unfortunetly for me I do not have AppleCare so he gave me an estimate of $1100 dollars for everything...after I got back on my feet from his estimate I said I might as well get a new one, which he agreed with me and said to look at the refurbs at apple.com

Since I'm a poor student, and don't have 1100 dollars to replace the board or get a new computer, do you think i could just buy the left fan assembly and try to install a new one? Or is the problem the motherboard not being able to turn the fan on?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I might be wrong but if the fans just won't turn on because they're broken, AHT won't report it, it will only report if there something wrong with the logic board itself so I do believe a new logic board is needed to fix it and now just the fan/assembly.

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

My a fan blade broke off and jammed the fan on my MacBook Pro last year. I think the hardware test did see it, but I cannot remember.

But seeing that your computer won't even start up, then I would venture to say that you do need a new logic board / new computer. I was able to run everything normally without the one fan until I had a good chance to get it fixed. It was just a little warmer and louder than usual, but that's the only difference I saw as a user.

6. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

Well it started with my computer screen just going black. Now whenever I go to turn it on it tries to load and then goes to the grey screen of death. Even from that process my fans are loud.

Well I have ordered a left fan assembly and am going to try to replace just to see if it all that helps. I plan on opening it up to make sure everything is ok tonight, and install the fan when it gets here in a couple days. I will let you guys know if it solves anything - lets hope it does!

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Does the gray screen actually say to restart (as in kernal panic?) or is it just a gray screen?

Last year, I also had an issue like this. It would just load to the gray screen before the apple logo, and stop there. Seems like it would also put a question mark or something after so many minutes.

Here's what they ended up replacing (9/21/2008):
    655-1413A DA, HITACHI DOLPHIN-C SATA 200GB HDD-7200RPM
    632-0636 FLEX ASSY, SATA-HDD/IR/SIL,M87
    016-0028 RESTORE: OS Software to latest update
    658-0346 ASSY,KEYBOARD,M87
    605-1617 TOP CASE ASSY
    605-1453 PCBA.MLB,2.5GHZ,THERM,M87

My laptop decided not to boot up one morning (the day of an English report of course and decided not to print it out in fear that it would wake my roommate).

I complained about my screen rubbing on the case causing really nasty scratch marks on either side of the keyboard, and the trackpad was freaking out on me all the time. Not sure what the deal was with the 605-1453... I guess there was something wrong there too.

It ended up just being the hard drive for me I guess.

Then a month later (literally, 10/21/2008), the fan issue occurred for me, as well as the iSight stopped working, and the trackpad was not working properly:
    607-2186 FAN ASSY,LT,M87
    607-2187 FAN ASSY,RT,M87
    605-1617 TOP CASE ASSY
    631-0565 ASSY,FHA,M87/M88,HF,ALTUS
    593-0713 CBL,LC,WAVE2/LED,M87

Got it back, and trackpad was still not working... Apple deemed the laptop a lemon and gave me the one in the signature.

Got the new Unibody one, and the Delete key popped off within the first 15 minutes of use. Found that in manufacturing, the key was produced missing one of the clips... You guessed it...

12/20/2008
    016-0014 RESEAT:Cable/Connector
    605-1689 SVC TOP CASE W/KEYBOARD ASSY B

But yea, all of this started out with an issue I think you may be having. Very possible since we both had the same kind of MBP. I also want to mention that you have the 8600M... the one that self destructs. That may be the black screens you have been seeing.

8. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

Wow they changed a lot. To answer your question, it is the grey screen that says please restart, and everytime I restart I keep getting it, so I guess its a kernal panic.

From what I have been reading throughout the internet forums, Apple has a tendandcy to replace more hardware then what might be needed, to ensure that it works and not spend a lot of time diagnosing the problem. So by just replacing a logic board and a couple of the fans is just easier. I don't know if thats true or not, but like I have said before, I can't afford the tab right now for all that.

9. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Aaah!!

Yes, the AHT error code means that the Left Fan is inoperative.

This may be a logic board failure, or it may be a fan failure. However, this fan failure should not be related to those kernel panics (the restart error message).

Now, if you live in the U.S., the AppleCare agent quoted you an incorrect price. As long as the computer was not accidentally damaged, mail-in repairs on your computer are capped at $330. Call 800-APL-CARE and request a mail-in repair. If you visit an Apple Store, the mail-in price is $310. Please make sure your data is backed up first!

If the logic board has not failed, it's possible that there's a less costly alternative to this repair. But it may be tough to find a qualified Mac technician in your area who can do the repair even more economically. $330 isn't really that bad (it includes three-way overnight FedEx shipping).

Please post and let us know how this repair goes!

10. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

This is interesting if indeed they cap the price, even if I don't have Applecare. I will call and request a mail-in repair if that's the case. The computer is in perfect condition, I damaged my last one and this one I have treated like my own child so I don't see that being a problem. Thanks for the insight.

11. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Correct, price cap has NOTHING to do with whether you have or had AppleCare.

They may call it a "depot repair" instead of a "mail-in repair", but it's the same. In the highly unlikely event that two agents in a row are not familiar with Apple's mail-in service, just request to speak to a "Tier 2" AppleCare agent.

Beyond a doubt, AppleCare will overnight you a padded box for your MacBook Pro with a prepaid FedEx return label. Repairs are completed as fast as possible. After the repair is complete, the computer will have a 90-day warranty (but they're usually very good, so you shouldn't have to take advantage of the warranty).

Let us know how this turns out!

12. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

I will try to get a call in tomorrow and when its done let you know for sure how it goes.

I guess before I call is it worth my while to try to replace the fan I ordered myself (carefully) and see if that solves it, and if not call Apple? I already spent 35 bucks on the fan, and if that works saving 300 dollars would be great.

13. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

New Error

- This just gets more interesting. I went ahead and checked out what was going on inside the computer and found a little piece of something jammed in my left fan. I removed it and my fan works good as new now. New problem - I went ahead and ran the Hardware Test again, this time got this error:

4VDC/1/40000003: Video Controller

I still get the grey screen of death kernal error that tells me to restart when I do turn my computer on.

14. fluffyx macrumors 6502

The unhappy fan was not directly causing the kernel panics. In theory, the Mac is supposed to shut itself down if it reaches an unsafe temperature, but yours may not have done this in practice. It's possible that the fan may have failed to cool the graphics chip, which failed as a result.

That AHT code*on a MacBook Pro means you definitely need a new logic board :). $330's a good deal in your case.

If you can, return the fan.

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Is it possible they changed it? I brought my MacBook Pro in to fix a couple weeks ago and they said that they have a new flat fee for all repairs (though mine was 1240...). Then again, mine was a newer MacBook Pro.

16. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

What was their new flat fee?

I will call and say its reporting a video card error. The original problem was my screen started flashing and then shut off.

17. goMac macrumors 603

Does your machine have an 8600? You might be able to sneak in under the 8600 recall, and get your logic board replaced for free...

One way or another, that 8600 was going to overheat and die anyway. :)

18. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it does - and I bought it in July of 2007, in between the dates they say the problems occurred.

19. fluffyx macrumors 6502

The flat fees have not changed.

The $1240/1260 fee is the highest cost of repair on a MacBook Pro. It applies if:
    1) there is some kind of accidental damage
    2) the logic board, SuperDrive, or LCD need to be replaced

The $310/330 fee applies regardless of type or number of components required if there is NO accidental damage.

20. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Ahh, okay, that makes sense.

21. fluffyx macrumors 6502

goMac, that's a GREAT point. It's very possible that the fan error was erroneous and would have fixed itself once the debris had dislodged. Fans are mechanical and not perfect, and sometimes one will take a moment or two to spin up. AHT will report this as a "failure," where in fact the fan is fine.

jamesybsu, you're doing absolutely nothing dishonest by suggesting the computer be sent in under this Quality Program. In fact, the AppleCare agent should have suggested it to you. If you call back and get someone else who doesn't know about the problem, tell them to look at Kbase article #TS2377. When they visit this page, they will see some additional, non-public information that they'll use to set up the repair.

For this issue, AppleCare REALLY wants to come in to an Apple Store or an Authorized Service Provider. If this is inconvenient for you, just stand firm that you would like a mail-in repair.

Assuming your computer qualifies, they will fix everything that's wrong with it, and give you a 90-day warranty on your MacBook Pro.

Thanks again to goMac for bring up this Quality Program!

22. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

thank you guys for your help - I will try one of these options and let you know how it goes!

23. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

Update

I took my computer to an Applecare Authorized Repair place and they ran the "test" that determines if your NVIDA card is part of the faulty chipset. The test came back that it was not because of a faulty card on NVIDA's part, but did say something was wrong with the video card. I didn't fully understand what that ment, but the guy said it would require most likely a replaced logic board.

So I called Apple and told them they ran the test, it was negative for the NVIDA's card being the reason it was having a problem, and said I would like to said it to the Depot Repair for the flat rate of $330. The person on the phone sounded confused, and put me on hold for a few minutes. When he came back he would send a box that would be at my place the next day. He said the quoted $330 dollars (I told him the price) was an estimate if nothing else is wrong with it and they would call me to confirm the final price.

So it looks like it is going to be out for repair, hopefully it remains at $330 and nothing more outrageous. Thanks again for the tip about the Depot Repair, I know for a fact they would not have said anything if that was the case.

24. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Whoa whoa whoa...

If the NVIDIA test says something is wrong, then the computer qualifies for the free repair.

There's a very confusing error message that the test produces:
    "No eligible graphic chip found" (or something like that)

The first several times I saw that test result, I thought it meant that the computer did not qualify for the repair. What it *actually* means is that the computer cannot communicate with its own video hardware.

Fortunately, the testing software saves results until the Service Provider deletes them. Please call them up, give them your serial number over the phone, and kindly request the exact wording of the test results. If your computer qualifies for a free repair, an alphanumeric code will be included in the results—something that begins with "NVQ" if memory serves. Please post that exact message here.

It's very possible that the AASP interpreted the results correctly... but if the NVIDIA test found ANY trouble at all, the computer qualifies for a free repair. It's also possible that they haven't dealt with too many of these NVIDIA issues and they weren't sure how to interpret the error message.

Don't worry if you've already sent your computer off for repair, it should be possible to get a reimbursement if it does, in fact, qualify.

--

The agent was partially correct... they could have to replace the logic board, display, hard drive, SuperDrive, and everything else in the computer and the repair would still be $330. However, if there's accidental damage, they would requote the repair at a higher rate.

--

I'm glad you got somewhere... best of luck!

25. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

Happy Update

Well I think the saga has ended...and its been a positive turnout!

I called AppleCare after I took my computer to check to see if the test would show its my video card, and they said no, although there is a problem with the video card (didn't say what it was). I told the person on the phone that I would like to send it in for an Apple Depot $330 flat rate repair and after a few minutes he said ok and they overnighted a box.

I removed the label to return it and to my surprise my the estimate said $0 dollars because of the NVIDIA issue. I didn't think anything of it and sent it away the next day expecting to get a phone call given me an estimate in a couple days.

Well this morning I was pleasantly woke up by the fedex man with my computer box. I gladly signed and opened my computer to find their product repair summary:

"We replaced these parts:
    Item Number: Description: Symptom:
    605-1790 Logic Board Kernal Freeze

And even more surprised to read this:
    "There is no charge for the service that we performed. Your repair is covered under the Quality Program service"

So I went from a $1200 estimate, to a $330 flat rate, to a free repair - I obviously couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone for their help - thanks to apple for their customer service (and very fast repair!)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      23.3 KB
      Views: