MBP hardware upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Allan in T.Dot, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

I have an older model MBP (15" C2D with 2.33 GHz processor, 2 GB 667 MHz RAM, and good ol' regular HDD) that I want to upgrade and have a few questions for y'all.

1 - Has anyone ever put a SDD into an older model MBP and if so, are there any new cables that I need for the interface?
    2 - How much RAM can I upgrade to? I think 4 GB (2x2GB chips) will work.

I've consulted the ifixit website but it doesn't give info on the HDD portion:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15"_Core_2_Duo_Model_A1211

Thanks!

2. Allan in T.Dot thread starter macrumors member

Nope, the instructions are quite clear. But, is it different if I install a SSD drive instead? Are there any extra steps that are taken? Or is it exactly the same?

3. applepearpp macrumors regular

it's virtually the same.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

For the hardware installation SSD is the same.

You might be able to use 6GB (2 + 4GB) but google it to be sure using your exact model (i.e. Mac Book Pro 3,1)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can put in an SSD, but that model has a SATA 1.5Gbps interface which means you won't be able to get the full speed of todays fastest SSDs (1.5Gbps translates to about 190MB/s, without accounting for overhead, etc.)

As with RAM, although you can put in 4GB of RAM, the computer will only address up to 3GB of RAM and that is a hardware limitation of the chipset.