MBP has been losing it's heat...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oogabooha, Jul 25, 2010.

1. oogabooha macrumors newbie

I feel that my computer has started to lose it's heat after I bought it a month ago. The internet has been slow ever since I got the shell-case for my new MacBook, and recently my Firefox has been freezing, and all of my programs have been laggy. Also, I can't get TF2 to work properly, I load it up to not have it let me click any buttons, although the game hasn't frozen, and it's hard to connect to a server (and stay connected), despite my friends having perfect connections. It makes me frustrated and perplexed that I bought this computer a month ago, bought all of this extra care for it (and showed it care), and it is just crapping out on me like this :/, what gives?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Just wanting to moan or you wanting us to help you? If you want help, you'll need to give us actual details:

- Your MBP model
    - OS X version
    - What you've tried to fix it

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I agree with the previous poster. But, as a start:
    1) run a program like Onyx. Enable all cleaning options and run that.

2) check activity monitor for weird processes that are stealing RAM and processor cycles.

3) open the System Profiler application and make sure that one of your RAM sticks did not fail.

4. oogabooha thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 17" running the latest version of Snow Leopard. I haven't really tried anything other than letting it cool down and shut it off for a while, but when I start it up again, same problems.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I had problems with lag with my previous mbp. If you boot from the os x install disc and install the os on the current partition you wont lose any files or settings. But it will Fix corrupted files.

Disclaimer: this advice is given on an 'as is' basis. Anything you do is at your own risk.

6. oogabooha thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, I don't have a startup disc for OSX :S, it was pre-installed.

7. kolax macrumors G3

You didn't get any discs with your Mac when you bought it..?

8. oogabooha thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I just dug up the discs, so I'm set. What do I do now specifically? I wouldn't want to screw up my computer. just insert it and then what? Sorry for being a n00b

EDIT: and it won't delete my files, right?

9. kolax macrumors G3

Back up using Time Machine if you have an external hard drive for worst case scenario.

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

So, you got a shell case... Maybe it's retaining its heat.

Have you tried taking off the case or looking at the temperature of the MBP?

11. oogabooha thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I meant losing its heat metaphorically I suppose for just not being as good as it was a month ago when I bought it.

Anyways, I inserted the disc and clicked install, and it's installing OSX Snow Leopard now. I just need confirmation that I won't lose all my files, because if not I'll be happy with all of the glitches (and lag) it has right now.