MBP has bluescreen, won't boot, etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kanthony, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Kanthony macrumors member

I searched and tried all of the solutions that I could find to help my situation, but none have prevailed. I have a 2009 2.53ghz 8gb 500gb 7200 macbook pro, running latest version of snow lep 10.6.4. It's been running fine since I got it last august, now today I started it, and I get the bluescreen that seems to refresh itself with a slight flicker every 10 seconds with a new bluescreen with the spiraling activity dots. I tried booting from a disc, and it nothing changed. I tried booting in safe mode, and it the bar would fill up, then it goes right back to bluescreen. I don't have a screwdriver on me, so I can't take the battery out. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

So if you boot from the install disc, you still get the blue screen? It doesn't go to the installation setup screen?

3. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

Right, even when I put the osx install discs in, and press "C" and boot off the disc, it does nothing. I'll see if I can record a video of what it does and upload it.

4. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

this, or your hard drive may have died

hmmm really now need, sounds like either a logic board or a hard drive thing, does it go to a screen with a folder symbols and question mark on it?

5. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

No, it just goes to the bluescreen, and every 10-15 seconds the rotating balls with appear and then disappear.

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I would believe that it's a serious hardware problem that you've got there. The fact that you can't even even boot from the install disc is of serious concern.

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

concur, i suggest you take it into apple and they will tell you whats, what with your computer

8. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

About 4 weeks ago, I added an 8gb ram upgrade, I wonder if perhaps one of the sticks went bad?

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You should have told us this in the original post. Yes, that could be your issue. Try putting the old RAM back and tell us what happens.

10. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

+1. Try it and see what happens. Is it still under AppleCare?

11. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately it's not, it's 1 month out of warranty. Sorry for failing to mention the ram upgrade in the original post. I really think its the ram. Tomorrow morning I'll replace it with the original ram and see if it boots up. Will post results!

12. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. It turned out it was the hard drive. 4 month old seagate 500gb 7200rpm

13. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I'm glad you figured it out :)... sorry about your hard drive though..

14. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, how do you like your momentus? I was thinking about getting one to replace it with.