MBP Has distorted graphics on screen for the 3rd time! Service is bad too!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ihatemymbp, Apr 14, 2007.

1. ihatemymbp macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to find anyone online with same problem as me. I bought my macbook pro in December 2006. I got a 2GH 15" with 2GB RAM. I also run XP Pro via Bootcamp for some softwares.

I use it at work 6 days a week for webdesign and graphics. And at night I use it to DJ with Serato Scratch.

In January I turned it on and the apple logo appeared to be fuzzy. And after fully loading up, my screen was all distorted with super saturated colours.

I tried calibrating the colours, and only managed to get a close enough configuration so that I can clearly see the screen with still plenty of oversaturation and bleeding.

I attached an external mnonitor, and the image is crystal clear so its obviously my lcd.

I took it to a macshop where they took a week to diagnose and fix the problem. (or so they thought). They replaced the LCD screen. I was happy for four days, and the same problem occurred. I had to rush back during my work day to get it fixed. Being a Saturday (I work evenings and weekends), and the weekend before Chinese New Year (I live in Singapore), the technicians said they couldn't order parts from the Apple Warehouse because it was already closed for Chinese New Year, and it would take two weeks to fix. By this time I was furious, but what can you do but bitch. But I was bitching to the wrong person. The technician at the retail shop was at least at work, unlike anyone in the multinational company of Apple (who apparrently have no call centre on weekends as everyone is off).

So I waited 2 weeks and got it back fixed finally. I was happy, until this morning. I turned it on, and sure enough, the return of the fuzzy apple logo. I knew right away. AARGH! Saturday too, so I only had a technician at the MAC retailer to talk too. I knew I couldn't bitch them out, cuz its Apple who deserves a piece of mind. So I pleaded with the technician to expedite my case and help me get replacement rather than a repair. Still waiting to see if Apple will replace my book entirely.

Has anyone experienced such problems with their display? Could it be due to poor ventilation and overheating? The Technicians don't even know what the real problem is. They just replaced parts, hoping it would do the trick.

Maybe I wouldn't be so upset if I didn't but Apple on such a pedastel. I just made the switch with this MBP and am sorely disappointed.

Drop a line if you feel my pain or know what to do to fix or prevent this from happening again in future.

2. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Push for a brand new machine, you shouldn't have repeating problems like that.

3. tdbiii macrumors newbie

Possibly a stupid question, but do you have these same issues in XP? And have you tried reinstalling the software? It obviously is not the screen that is giving you these issues...

4. ihatemymbp thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually found a quick fix, which would have saved me the trouble the last two times.

I found it in the Apple Discussion Forums.

Shut Down, then while pressing alt + cmd + R + P, hit the power button and hold until it reboot chime sounds 3 times.

I can't believe this works, but it works. BTW I had same problem is XP when this happened.

All is good now.

Though this bug shouldn't be there in the first place, along with all the other MBP hiccups. And its obvioudly a recurring bug, so its not a permanent fix.

Question is should I go through the trouble of getting Apple to replace it?

Maybe I should, but wait until Leopard is being bundled with it.

Thanks for the input, and please let others know about this fix.

This fix took a while to find, searching through many threads, while it should be in big bold letters on the front page of the MBP Support page on Apple's website.

BTW I am no longer angry.

...for now.

5. dadsgravy macrumors newbie

dadsgravy

What you did is called reseting the pram or nvram:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

If that fixed your problem, there is no bug in your machine other than user ignorance. It could be that boot-camp and XP are messing up your machine. That's what I would put the blame on. The fact that no one tried this before repairing your computer is amazing. And further just to let you know, apple will never in a million years replace your computer. They will continue to fix it over and over again. Good luck to you!:apple:

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You are very wrong about that one. If you send it in three times for the same problem, and after that third time the same problem persists, they typically offer to replace your entire machine.

7. dadsgravy macrumors newbie

dadsgravy

Well, that's where you are wrong. That's folk lore like the moon is made of cheese. There might be instances where they have done that, but that is not apple policy.

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Nope, I'm looking at my imac c2d as proof that apple replaces lemons. My old imac was in repeatedly and the final time they offered me a new one. Even switched all my user stuff over, free of charge. I am a firm believer in Applecare though. I don't know that they would have replaced it if I didn't have AC.

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Nope. It might not be Apple's policy but here in Denmark we have a law that actually says that 3 repairs for the same error means a replacement, so bohoo to Apple if they refuse to replace it. I don't know about other countries' consumer rights laws of course.

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Sorry buddy, but you have no idea what you're talking about. It's personally happened to me, here in the US. Notice I said 'typically' not 'policy'.

I happen to believe it may be a policy though, considering the way the guy on the phone discussed it as such.