MBP has no hash key??

iVersa

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
London, UK
Yes I was talking about this in the office yesterday, its odd how the UK apple keyboards dont actually show the # symbol on the 3 key.

I guess because americans know we dont use # to symbolise a number like they do, they assume we dont use it at all, haha.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
iVersa said:
Yes I was talking about this in the office yesterday, its odd how the UK apple keyboards dont actually show the # symbol on the 3 key.

I guess because americans know we dont use # to symbolise a number like they do, they assume we dont use it at all, haha.
yeh alt+3 = #

took me 2 years of copy & Paste #'s for my HTML

need them for hex #FFFFFF

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
You could also turn on the keyboard viewer within the little flag menu bar icon thingie which is handy.

In system preferences, under "International" ... click "Input menu" and then at the bottom, click "show input menu in menu bar."

This displays a little flag (your default language) on the menu bar. Click it, then select "Show keyboard viewer" which shows your keyboard layout. Press cmd or alt etc. and it'll show you what shortcuts are available.

Nifty nifty.

mikerr

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007
Necro-thread I know, but I got here from a search...

Nowadays in snow-leopard the keybaord viewer is in system preferences->keyboard,
tick "show keyboard and character viewer in menu bar"

Kinda amazing that 2009 MBPs still don't show it on the keypad itself :rolleyes:

MecPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
London
Does that mean OPTION/ALT+3 does not work on your supposedly UK keyboard layout?

It works for me on Mac OS X 10.6.4.
Yeah, it just does nothing everytime I press it. The three works, and the £ works, but not the hash. Whether I am using the keyboard or aluminium keyboard

MecPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
London
Just tried again now, still nothing. I tested the keyboard in US and the has key works fine. I then changed it back to UK and realised that none of the ALT/Option + number combos work at all :confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That is strange, as I have set my keyboard layout to British right now and it is working.

without OPTION
1234567890-=​

with OPTION
¡€#¢∞§¶•ªº–≠​

with OPTION+SHIFT
⁄™‹›fifl‡°·‚—±​

without OPTION
qwertyuiop[]​

with OPTION
œ∑´®†¥¨^øπ“‘​

with OPTION+SHIFT
Œ„‰ÂÊÁËÈØ∏”’​

without OPTION
asdfghjkl;'\​

with OPTION
åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬…æ«​

with OPTION+SHIFT
ASDFGHJKL:"|​

without OPTION
`zxcvbnm,./​

with OPTION
`Ω≈ç√∫~µ≤≥÷​

with OPTION+SHIFT
ŸÛÙÇ◊ıˆ˜¯˘¿​

My System Preferences settings:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pale blue comma
Just tried again now, still nothing. I tested the keyboard in US and the has key works fine. I then changed it back to UK and realised that none of the ALT/Option + number combos work at all :confused:
Open the Keyboard Viewer (see earlier posts in this thread for instructions).

With Keyboard Viewer showing, press your Shift key. Does the corresponding key in Keyboard Viewer hilite? Do the characters on the on-screen keyboard change?

Release the Shift key and press the Command key. Does it hilite?

Release the Command key and press the Alt/Option key. Does it hilite?

Change the keyboard layout to US. Press the Alt/Option key. Does it hilite?

If the answer to any of these is "No", then you may have a defective keyboard.

However, it could also be some software you've installed that's interfering with the Alt/Option key. Reboot in Safe Mode.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

MecPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
London
Open the Keyboard Viewer (see earlier posts in this thread for instructions).

With Keyboard Viewer showing, press your Shift key. Does the corresponding key in Keyboard Viewer hilite? Do the characters on the on-screen keyboard change?

Release the Shift key and press the Command key. Does it hilite?

Release the Command key and press the Alt/Option key. Does it hilite?

Change the keyboard layout to US. Press the Alt/Option key. Does it hilite?

If the answer to any of these is "No", then you may have a defective keyboard.

However, it could also be some software you've installed that's interfering with the Alt/Option key. Reboot in Safe Mode.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564
Hi,

Tried all of these and they work fine. In the video I posted you can see that for some reason the numbers buttons don't register when I am holding the alt key

Fed up now...uggh

mattface

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I'm having pretty much the same problem. But i can get option+ any number key to work except option+3. Its annoying the hell out of me.

(dunno if it'll help you but i find if i hold 'option' and press '3' then keep 'option' held, i can't use any of the option symbols, but if i repress 'alt' then it works again. Might solve your issue with ALT/Option + numbers. although 3 still doesn't work)

I've even tried downloading 'keyremap' to change the hash key to another key. But then that key just does nothing. its as if my macbook just has absolutely no knowledge of a hash key.