MBP Has problems waking up!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richy23, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Richy23 macrumors 6502

Hi,

When I put the lid down on my MBP it goes to sleep fine, and the light on the front fades in and out like it's meant to. However about 4/10 times that I go back to it and lift the lid to wake up, the screen doesn't turn on and is just blank.

I can hear the computer is on, and if you look at a certain angle you can see the monitor is on very slightly but nothing that you can see head on. I have to keep powering it off and back on which is slightly annoying!

Any ideas?

(One other thing, when the screen doesn't come on, the backlit keyboard doesn't light up either...thanks!)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried turning the screen brightness up when it does that?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried adding some brightness? COULD be your backlight but seems to be more like a permissions issue thus try repairing permissions with Disk Utility

4. Richy23 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do try adding brightness to screen and keyboard but nothing! I'll try the Disk Utility thing! :)

5. iceandfire macrumors newbie

I have the similar issue. My model is macbook pro 15'', mid 2010 with HR screen.

If I close the lid and open it after a short time, everything is fine. But, if I close the lid and leave it for a long period (mostly overnight, sometimes with power adapter connected, sometimes without), then, when I open the lid, nothing happens. I can not hear anything from the harddisk, but the sleep indicator light is on (without flash). Then they only thing I can do is to hold the power button and turn it off. Then, I can turn it on and the system will recover from the safe sleep.

Although my data is safe but this is really annoying. I have tried to repair the permission but it does not work.

6. zoomzoom3 macrumors newbie

My 15" MBP is doing the same thing - I've got the standard res 2.4Ghz i5, and a Dell U2410 connected by HDMI as a second screen. Most times the unit comes out of sleep without a problem. But I'd say 1 in 6 times(usually after it's been in sleep mode for a few hours) it will power back up but the laptop screen is blank, and the Dell is displaying crazy characters against a black background. I have to hold down the power until it shuts the laptop off to get out of it. Closing the lid, putting it back into sleep mode and bringing it out again doesn't help, and disconnecting the external monitor and plugging it back in results in the same distorted characters. Not sure what the problem might be, but i've tried disabling sleep mode and just letting the screens power down, so far it seems to be working.

7. amarcus macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity in the instances where this occurs: have you removed any portable devices (USB sticks/ipods/iphones etc.) from your macbook while it was asleep?

8. zoomzoom3 macrumors newbie

Nope, nothing got unplugged or changed on mine.

Tonight, I was just browsing the web and both screens locked up and the artifacts showed up. I could still see the windows and programs that were up, and the mouse would move and beach ball, but i couldn't click on anything. I left it for a couple minutes to see if it would recover, but it didnt. I grabbed a couple shots with my camera and i will post them tomorrow.

I'm wondering if this might indicate bad video memory for the nvidia chip??

9. zoomzoom3 macrumors newbie

Here are two shots of what happened to mine the other night... notice the artifacts. At this point the cursor moved, but I couldn't click anything. This is also what happens when it comes out of sleep mode once and a while. Any ideas??

Attached Files:

10. philamac macrumors regular

display won't turn on after connected to external monitor

At home, I like to have the MBP sleeping, with the lid closed. I plug in an external display, keyboard, and mouse. When I push something on the keyboard, it wakes up and uses the external display, like it's supposed to.

My problem is, if I open the MBP's lid, the built in LCD won't turn on! My old mbp (still a unibody) used to turn on, but this one won't unless I go to Display Settings and tell it to 'Detect Displays'

Anyone else running into this problem?

My Setup:
    MBP 15" i7 Hi-Res

[update]
    I went on the apple site, and read a support article about using an external monitor. Apparently, this behavior that I'm complaining about is by design and my old laptop's behavior, while preferred is not. The most interesting bit is at the very bottom where it says

"When you're finished using your Apple portable in closed-lid mode, the internal display will not function when you open the lid until you have properly disconnected the external display. To properly disconnect the external display, put the computer to sleep and disconnect the display cable from the computer. Open the lid and the computer will reactivate the internal display."

So there ya go...

Personally I've just resorted to using the Display Preferences Icon in the menu bar. To enable this...
    1) I went into System Preferences > Display Preferences
    2) checked the box at the bottom that says "show displays in menu bar"
    3) when you need to use both displays, open your laptop, then go up to the display icon and click "Detect Displays"