MBP has slowed down enormously - how can I stop this happening?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cujimmy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. cujimmy macrumors member

I have a June 2009 MBP which, over the last few months, has got slower and slower to the point where it was unbearable. Safari would take about 30secs to open and then have a beachball for a further 20secs. iCal would take an age. Opening my dashboard would take around 30secs. And startup could take several minutes.

So yesterday I moved all my documents, music etc. onto an external drive and did an erase and install of 10.6. Then I reinstalled all my applications (iWork, Eye TV etc) and finally dragged and dropped all my files back on. Now my MBP is whizzing along.

So my question to all you Mac people is: what happened? Why did my Mac slow down so much and what can I do to stop it happening again? (cos reinstalling the OS took me all day and seems a little extreme)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Before you did the reinstall, how much free space was there on the hard drive?

3. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

It has a 320GB drive and I had used a little over half - I think there was about 100GB left.

EDIT: Of course, I've put everything back on here!! Just had a look and it was the other way around - I've used just under half. Used: 122.1GB, Free:197.7GB.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

did you try repairing disk permissions? that might help. you do know that lciking the little red "x" in OS X doesn't actually quit the process right?
    because it will still run int he background unless you press the command button + Q. this key combo quits the app.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, you should be fine there, then. How much RAM does the Mac have?

6. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's really odd, the specs of your Mac are fine. If it happens in the future, try going to Disk Utility and repairing the permissions, as was suggested earlier, and repairing the disk. If neither of those work, consider running onyx.

8. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - yes I am aware of that. As a clue as to how slow it got - I had Safari open on startup. From the moment I pressed the power button to the moment I could actually load a webpage would be around 2-3 minutes and about 30secs of that would be a blank Safari page with a spinning beachball and the safari icon bouncing in the dock.

9. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

Out of interest, what is repairing permissions? And if it needs doing, why doesn't my Mac just do it?

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Take a look at this guide and it should answer most of your questions about repairing permissions :)