MBP HD Change - Opinion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crysalis, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Crysalis macrumors member

Hey all... i've been a "lurker" here for a few years, but never post. I have a 2006 MBP (2.16 Core duo, 2gb ram, x1600, 100gb) and i'm looking to upgrade the HDD since I have snow leopard on pre-order and may do a "fresh install" at the same time.

This is not a "how-to", as i'm perfectly fine changing it. My question for you is opinion on hard drives for those that have upgraded. I'm a fan of both WD and seagate, so I'm stickin to those brands. What cache size to go with, or even the drive speed?

Just want a general consensus... no need for fan boys or suggestions to buy a uMBP. I would like to try to get at least 250gb. I would consider SSD, but its just not worth it $/gb to me.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Go with either a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB or a Scorpio Black 320GB. I don't like Seagate at all due to their recent track record so I don't personally recommend them.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to counter Bill's advice ;) and recommend seagate.

To date, I've always had good luck with them. I always here about WD problems though.

To that end, let me put in a comment about this. Like PC vs. Mac, choosing a HD manufacturer is more of personal preference. I personally like seagate others like western digital. I'd get at least a 250, but the 500gb 5400rpm is a great price point, its fast thanks to the data density, no complaints on vibrations or noises. You cannot go wrong.

Check out newegg, they typically have specials going on and their prices are typically less then many other places.

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I prefer the 7200 RPM drives... while sustained transfer may not be much more seek times are quicker on the 7200's. Anyway, I have the 500GB 7200RPM Seagate and love it... no issues whatsoever.

5. Crysalis thread starter macrumors member

I'm not so much concerned about brand. Usually it comes down to a warranty or price point when it comes between seagate and WD for me. I have used both for years and had the same problems (VERY few problems) with both, so I can't complain about either company.

Is 7200 REALLY that noticeable? I'm just wondering because I haven't really ever had the chance to compare. Of course, on a desktop, I can notice a difference between 7200 and 10k, but I've just never tried on a laptop with 5400 vs 7200.

While I'm at it, I'm curious to know if the 06 MBP is Sata 1.5gb or 3.0gb?

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I upgraded to a 7200rpm Seagate from the stock Hitachi 320GB 5400rpm, and yes, the difference was noticeable, especially during application launches, and OS X shutting down.

7. shuave macrumors newbie

Does the 7200 chew through more battery than the 5400?