MBP HD in Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mattwolfmatt, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I just upgraded my HD in my early 2008 MBP from 200GB to 320GB. I would like to put the old 200GB HD in my late 2007 Mac Mini. This should fit, from what I understand.

What I'd like to know is, how to I restore my mini data onto the already-used hard drive? I have a current time machine backup and the leopard disks. But once I stick in that 200GB drive I'm going to get what looks like my MBP popping up on the screen. Do I need to format that drive? Disk Utility doesn't seem to want to make that too easy (understandably so).

I don't want to get an external enclosure. There has to be a way for this to work!

Thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You put the 200Gb drive in the mini, boot from the Leopard DVD (holding down C key on your keyboard) and use Disk Utility from within the Installer setup (Utilities Menu) to erase/reformat the drive and then do an OS restore install from the current Time Machine backup... er, which is where, by the way?

3. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Time machine backup is on an external hard drive. Ok good, so with the leopard DVD you can format installed HD. Thanks.