MBP HD keeps dying.. will SSD help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonomo, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jonomo macrumors regular

I have an early 2008 MBP 15inch lying around the office. When I asked why nobody is using it, I was told that the HD keeps dying. Already on the third one. I tried to use it and it keeps hanging and freezes. I heard it was a common problem for that model as it has something to do with the HDD controller not working properly. Has anyone heard of this? Also, I have a 64 gig SSD laying around and I'm wondering if changing it to SSD will fix the problem.

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

3. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

You should try, but others have replaced the HD already, that's probably not the problem....

4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Do you still have the DVDs that came with the Mac? Try running the Apple Hardware Test and see if that comes up with a clue as to what the problem is.

5. jonomo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't to try it and have it eat up the SSD as well.. They are not cheap.. That's why I came to the forums to ask if anyone else had had the same problem..

6. jonomo thread starter macrumors regular

I tried using it again today and I noticed that it's getting really hot on the left side.. I installed a fan speed monitor and it seems steady at 2500, which seems pretty low for the temp it was running at.. wondering if the fan speed control is not working properly...

7. iRockSteady macrumors newbie

iRockSteady

You need not worry about the controller "locking" or "freezing" a SSD. Speed is not the only benefit of flash memory -- it is highly durable and reliable. Install the SSD and enjoy your much better MacBook.