MBP HD or Optical Drive noise questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greyfox135, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Greyfox135 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    Firstly, this is my first thread here on Mac rumors. I'm excited about joining this community. Now on to my questions:

I have a MBP that I bought in Jan 07. Since the very start, every time I turn it on either the HD or the optical drive (whatever is on the right bottom corner, I assume it's the optical drive where I place a CD) makes a noise that sounds like a bee it goes: Buuuz buuuuz buuz :-/

This also happens when I lift the screen up after I had placed my MBP into sleep mode.

My father, who bought his MBP in November 06' does not make this noise. Also my friend got his in March 07' and his doesn't make that noise. Their Macs make a noise still, but it’s a lot quieter. Theirs go zst zst. (I hope this makes sense)

Sooo...

Why does mine? Is there a fix? Please let me know. I appreciate your response in advance. Thank you!
    -Grey

2. dmb3886 macrumors regular

completely normal. the first time i put a cd in i was like "oh **** i broke it already" :D

3. Greyfox135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why does mine make a different noise then theirs? I'm not placing a disk in, I'm simply turning on my MBP or I am waking it from sleep...

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

How does a thread with only two replies, one of them from the OP, garner a 5-star rating already??

If your drive is making that noise all of the time, call Apple or go to your local store. If it's only on wake or inserting a disc, you're fine.

5. Greyfox135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

...Yea, I'm not sure why I have 5-Stars? Maybe someone thought this was a good question?